Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2010 Elantra SE w/ Nav when did the problems with this navigation

Customer Question
system become known looking for...
2010 Elantra SE w/ Nav when did the problems with this navigation system become known looking for the date
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
8/3/2012
Auto Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm Dj.

Dj :

If you can provide your Vehicle ID number I can run your VIN against the Hyundai technical website to see when and if any technical service bulletins apply.

Dj :
Dj :

Also if you can give me a better idea of what you are trying to achieve I may be able to help you better.

Customer : VIN kmhdu4ad4au191605 I have been having problems with it since I bought my new car for a yr and a half now and was just told that Hyundai new there was a problem with it but my dealership service department did not. So I want to know the timeframe/date that the problem was actually discovered by Hyundai with the navigation, radio, satellite, Bluetooth unit. Just trying to get honest answers that are believable.
Dj :

There is one TSB relating to the Garmin navigation. TSB 07-90-005

It addresses warranty coverage and some diagnostic processes.

Dj :

There is another 10-BE-010 which covers Bluetooth.

Another 10-BE-113 for Bluetooth access.

Dj :

12-BE-004-1, 12-BE-004-2 and 12-BE-004-3 are all related to Bluetooth diagnostic codes.

Dj :

I don't think this really answers your question. It takes about 6 months to write and publish a TSB. They don't publish them because they have nothing to do. Usually there is a rash of warranty claims and they start looking for a problem.

First, you have to identify what is going wrong. Nobody intentionally designed a problem into the car.

Dj :

Then you have to figure out what to do to fix the problem. It might require parts, it might require reprogramming or it might require better training of the mechanics.

Dj :

Then you have to make new parts. This is the biggest delay. Once the new parts are made, you have to test them and make certain they don't cause some other problem.

Dj :

Then you have to get the parts into the distribution chain. When all this is done, then you publish the TSB.

Dj :

I don't work for Hyundai.

Dj :

You will never get warranty or product defect from Hyundai or any other manufacturer without a lawsuit. Hyundai knew that they had a product problem when they got the first 5 or 10 warranty claims or customer complaints for the same problem.

Dj :
Dj :

Is your car under warranty? Did you report the problem in the first year that you owned the car? Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership more than three times and do you have copies of the repair orders for the repair visits?

Dj :
Dj :

Every state has a Lemon Law and the purpose is to solve problems exactly like yours. That's the reason for the questions about repair attempts and when the vehicle was first brought in for this.

Dj :

Tell me what you can and I will work with you to get a solution to this.

Dj :

Dj

Customer : I reported the problem the first month I bought the car, they have replaced the unit 3 times and want to now let me pick a aftermarket one that they will pay for and install. I am trying to look at all my options and am trying to get in writing from them when they found out about the problem to see if the sold me the new car knowing it had problems. I had to file a claim with Hyundai corporate after not hearing from my dealership in 3 months. I called them 3 times during that time and they still had no progress or answers until I filed the claim and corporate contacted them. Then of course I got excuses why they hadn't called me with any status updates. And they had the nerve to tell me that corporate called and spilled the beans on me filing a claim against them. Needless to day I do not believe anything my dealership says now as they are only looking out for themselves.
Dj :

Ok, you've got all the aces, and they've got nothing.

Dj :

It really doesn't matter if the dealership knew it had a problem or not. They are just the seller, they are not the manufacturer. The warranty comes from Hyundai. And the settlement will come from Hyundai.

Dj :

And H doesn't guarantee that the car won't have defects. With the warranty, they just agree to pay to repair defects.

Dj :
Dj :

So where do you want to go with this? What's the solution that will make you feel like you won?

Dj :
Dj :

Dj

Customer : How do We get my VIN number pulled out of the conversation so it will not be available for the public to see please
Dj :

Here is a better way.

Dj :

Go to this website. It's the Hyundai technical service website. Then type in your VIN and you can pull up everything print it out.

https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

Dj :

You will have to create an account but there is no charge. These bulletins are writen for professional mechanics, so some things may not make sense to you so just let me know if you have a questions about something and I will be glad to help.

Dj :

I would like to explain a little bit more about Lemon Laws. They were put in place to protect customers like you that get stuck with a problem that can't be fixed. To qualify, the vehicle has to be brought to the dealership 3 times with an accurate description of the problem. Then it's the customer's responsibility to contact the manufacturer. Then the manufacturer gets one chance to fix the vehicle.

If the manufacturer cannot fix the vehicle in that one chance, the manufacturer must either buy back the vehicle, replace the vehicle, or negotiate a settlement that satisfactory to the customer.

Dj :

So let's say you have a 2010 that you paid $16,000 for, but invoice was $18,000. They have to give you back the $16,000 if you just want the car bought back. But let's say you want a Genesis and the invoice price is $40,000. They go invoice to invoice, so they would have to give you $18,000 credit toward the $40,000. There is a charge for the miles you've put on the 2010 but that's not really that much.

Dj :

You don't need an attorney to pursue Lemon Law if you've got all documentation in order.

Dj :

Now Hyundai doesn't want a Lemon Law buyback on their books. It makes them look bad. So you are in the driver's seat on this. It's their responsibility to fix the car or make you happy some other way.

'

Dj :

I hope that makes some sense. I know it's a complicated subject.

Dj :

Any questions, let me know.

Dj :
Dj :

Dj

Dj
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician