OBDtech
OBDtech, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience in mechanical/electrical Repair and Restoration
69414822

Toyota pick-up: have a 1982 toyota pick-up with the 2188cc

have a 1982 toyota pick-up with the 2188cc 2.2 L  diesel motor had to replace the head and couldn't find a manual on this motor anywhere . need to set the timing. think that i have the crank & the cam right but would like to confirm that with you and what position does the injector pulley go in or line up with .is someone working on this?

If it has a Bosch Injector Pump, one hole in the face of the Pump Sprocket is Slightly smaller than the others, and a corresponding recess in the face of the pump.

there is a special pin to locate #1, but a wooden dowel may work. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the information but I won't be where the truck is until next week . I do appreciate the fact that you knew this as I have talked to many people who work on diesel motors and no one knew the answer for this motor . thanks mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Had a neighbor go over and look at the truck & the injector pump isn't a bosch pump but is a nippon denso pump instead . the gear on the pump has a notch in it but don't see what it is to line up with to mark it for number 1 timing . any ideas
Give me just a few minutes......

toyota-l-series-timing-belt-waterpump-043

This is the Denso Mark, cast into the body of the pump. the mark on the pulley is easy to miss, so be careful.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he found the mark on the pully . it looks like from the picture that it should be at about the 12:00 position is that correct
You got it! The pump leans a little to the right. so it will be about 1 o'clock.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks you have been very knoledgeable about this problem thanks mike

Glad to help.