Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

2001 infiniti SUV. I smell gas on the outside and see a small

2001 infiniti SUV. I smell gas on the outside and see a small puddle under the car. I am not losing a whole lot, just enough to smell. I made sure gas cap is tight.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

Is it toward the rear of the vehicle or the front?

..

What state do you live in?

..

..

Have you owned it since new?

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Drivers side rear of car. Live in Indiana. Just bought the car used. Has 87K miles.
There was a recall on some which could create a small leak, if it were to rust through. That is why I asked what state(s) it is in. There is a chance that the leak is just a loose clamp at the fuel filler hose, which will most times only leak when the fuel splashes around and gets out at a small rate and possibly driip when parked.

graphic

.
.

However, let me give you the particulars on teh recall to see if it applys to your vehicle.

.

APPLIED VEHICLES:
1997-2001 QX4 (JR5O)

.
.

APPLIED VINs:
1997: JNRAR05Y(*)VW 016309 - 018007
1998: JNRAR05Y(*)WW 020101 - 040478
1999: JNRARO(*)Y(*)XW 039923 - 072384
2000: JNRARO7Y(*)YW 075001 - 087217
2001: JNRDRO(***)1W 100029 - 225644 NOTE :Use Infiniti Net to determine campaign eligibility.

.
.

INTRODUCTION

Infiniti has determined that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1997-2001 model year Infiniti QX4 vehicles. The fuel filler tube may have an insufficient amount of coating at the lower mounting bracket. If there is insufficient coating corrosion may occur in geographic areas that regularly use road salt in the winter. This corrosion can result in perforation of the fuel filler tube and fuel leakage. If there is fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source a fire can result.

.

.

In order to prevent this potential condition Infiniti is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to replace the fuel filler tube assembly in states that regularly use road salt in the winter and to inspect and if necessary replace the fuel filler tube assembly in states that are not listed as ones that regularly use road salt in the winter.

..
.

Owner Letter - Currently Registered in One of the States Listed

Recall R0707 and R0708 - Fuel Filler Tube Replacement

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much Super Mechanic! I am wondering what Infiniti net means on 2001 model? Also, is the car safe to drive? There is no Infiniti dealer in my city. The closest one is approximately 80 miles away.
Sorry, Infinity net is what the dealer uses to verify the vehicle's eligibility in the recall.

.

I can't say that it is safe to drive it and if it is involved in the recall, (and is leaking at this time) the dealership/factory may pay for any tow charges. It would be best to check with them on that. Also, possibly have a repair shop have a look at it to make sure it's not just the hose clamp loose and if they could maybe stop it until you get to the dealer, thanks

****PLEASE REMEMBER****
..
.

.

.

****You have the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****

.

.

Thanks again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks again! the vin is JNDRO7451W 111556. So this vehicle is included in the recall?
Bingo....I think that they would have to cover the tow on that. Thank you for using Pearl/just answer. com and come again, anytime.

***** YOU HAVE TO HIT THE PROPER RATING OR BUTTON FOR ME TO GET CREDIT FOR THE ANSWER AND TO GET PAID, THANKS ***********

..