Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

Should I have all fluids:transmission,antifreeze,brake fluid

Should I have all fluids:transmission,antifreeze,brake fluid and so on if my car is more than 10 yrs old ?
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.What is the mileage on the vehicle? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
100,000 miles
To start with, The coolant is only rated to go 100K miles so Yes, change the coolant But if you have flushed the cooling system in the past then No, the coolant should still be good, They can use a coolant tester to see what the coolant is rated too (example: if the coolant is good to -20 deg. then it is good, If you live in a region where it gets colder then that then have it changed, if not then it is good),Transmission fluid should be changed every 30K miles, I would change it to keep transmission in good shape (transmission fluids get a lot of abuse, do to the fluid gets very hot and cold) As far as the brake fluid goes, a good shop should have what are called brake fluid test strips, these test strips test for moisture in the brake fluid and tells if it has broken down and needs to be replaced, replacing brake fluid that has not failed is just a waste of money! Age is not a factor when it comes to service, mileages are. Have the brake fluid tested first (most good shops will test it for free, it takes about 1 min. to test) Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with these issues