Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

2005 subaru outback w/118,500 miles - 3 litre 6 cylinder - The air conditioner works great

2005 subaru outback w/118,500 miles - 3 litre 6 cylinder - The air conditioner works great when it works, but it sometimes just stops working - so far, the best way to fix it is to fill the car up with gas, which has worked twice despite numerous other unsuccessful attempts to turn the air and/or the engine on and off - I was going to try replacing the relay, but the gas thing freaks me out - what do you think? thanks, Harvey
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.At this point the issue you are experiencing is common to a bad a/c pressure switch (a/c transducer) what happens is at times when the sensors are going bad they send a bad signal to the computer saying that pressures are to high causing the a/c compressure to shut down, As far as the filling with gas, this is just a timing type glitch, (the a/c system is not effected by the fuel system, other then engine has to be running for the compressor to work,sounds like the switch cooled down or just happened to complete the circuit at those times) Take a good look at the high pressure switch (a/c transducer) sounds to be your issue, Thanks,please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please provide ballpark cost on replacing the A/C transducer
Parts and labor to replace in my region is $175.00 Thanks