Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

parked..nither key fob..cranking works car fires up and dies..blown

hi i have a 98...
hi i have a 98 bentley arnarge, after the car was parked for two days, nither key fob would unlock the car i can open the car with the key but everything is dead, no lights operate with the key in the ignition, but cranking works car fires up and dies straight away, both fobs have new batterys, both batterys on the car are at full charge, and no fuses have blown. email. [email protected]
6/5/2012
caughlins
caughlins, ASE Certified Technician

caughlins :

Hi I have a few questions. You said no lights turn on with the ignition switch? Is there any tone? With the key on? Also does the red light appear on the fobs or not? Do the lights flash when locking and unlocking the car? The starting and shutting off is the car is immobilized. Also disconnect both batteries for ten minutes. If you have a volt meter, tell me the voltage of both batteries. -Colin-

Customer:

hi, no tone with the key, both key fobs have red lights working, no lights flash on the car and car does not lock or unlock, only manuel with the key, the car appears to be compleatly dead, untill you turn the key to crank the engine, then it cranks fires up then imedietly dies again, car is now completly dead again, i am away from home so i have no voltmeater, but i can say cranking the car is very normal, and both batterys are 60ah [bently recomend 50ah] a reputable make heavy duty and only one month old., steve.

caughlins :

the car will crank even if the left battery is dead. it should start and run but it may be stalling out because the left battery is so low. Try disconnecting the left battery only and see how it starts. let me know. -Colin-

Customer:

hi

Customer:

colin ,spot on the left battery was compleatly dead.. i cant beleive it the car has stood for more than two weeks before with no problems this time it had only stood for three days, what could drain the battery so much? i put jumper cables between the batterys and it fired straight up and ran, i removed the cables and drove the car for half an hour, now everything works as it should, my worry is when i next go to the car it will be the same, thanks ,steve

caughlins :

the battery could have just been low from lack of use. then the last three days just did the battery in. make sure to have the battery tested as it may have failed internally. Do you use a battery tender? -Colin-

Customer:

no but i think i will from now, thanks colin great help, steve

caughlins
caughlins, ASE Certified Technician
Hi I was wondering if you had the battery tested and what the results were. Feel Free to contact me if you need more help. -Colin-
hi Colin i have had no time as yet but i drove the car for four hours on friday and all seams to be well, i put a voltmeter across both batterys both were over 12.5 volts, i think the bently alarm must have a large current draw, i now have a battery tender on the ofending battery, hopfully this will be the cure, thanks again.steve.
caughlins
caughlins
caughlins, ASE Certified Technician