Auto_Enlightenment
Auto_Enlightenment, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
66798540

Shadow: lift mechanism..sprocket..without removing

1972 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Driver's side window doesn't move, electric connections are good but the lift mechanism seems to be a jammed (sprocket or gear?). Is there a fix without removing the whole mechanisim from the door?

Auto_Enlightenment :

Hello, I will do my best to help you out here.

I assume you have the door panel off since you are saying the electrical connections are good. Have you tried applying power directly to the window motor to see if it moves?

Customer:

The window motor does "try" to move, ever so slightly. If I rotate the motor by hand the window moves slowly down, never up.

Customer:

I have all the RR manuals and tech books.....I'm also working on a '78 Honda Civic 1200...my hobby.
We have a complete workshop, lift (hoist), welding. lathe etc.....

Auto_Enlightenment :

Ok, it sounds like the mechanical part is indeed binding. This normaly takes removal to correct but you can try lubing the mechanism and the channels which the glass runs in first to see if it helps.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Another option is to disconnect the glass from the regulator which lifts the glass. Suspend the glass in the door with some tape or sombody holding it then try the regulator with no weight from the glass on it and see if it will move.

Auto_Enlightenment :

I've seen windows bind up from friction between the glass and its chanels which it slides up and down in.

Auto_Enlightenment :

This binding of the glass can make it seem like the regulator is binding so we need to seperate the two to see where the problem is.

Customer:

Okay, That should be easy. Simple things first, eh? I'll do that today and get back to you.
Thanks.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Sounds good, let me know what you come up with.