Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

missfire. popping in the intake and exhaust.

Customer Question
I have a missfire. popping...
I have a missfire. popping in the intake and exhaust. vehical will idle but when accellerator is pressed it falls flat on its face. I installed a new Map sesor and it ran fine for 1/2 day then back to missfire again. the spark plugs get a black soot like stuff on them
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/2/2012
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

what is te engine size?

Customer:

3.8L

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

tell me,,,,does the engine light stay on when the van is running?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

do you have an obd2 scanner?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

can you give me the trouble codes?

Customer:

let me grab mytablet with them on it would that be ok if i came right back

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

ok tim I have a p0108,p0122 and a 1478

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

give me just a minute please

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

i will be right with you

Customer:

3R138035 are the last 8 digits in the vin if that will help

tims auto repair :

well...

tims auto repair :

the 1478 code worries me

tims auto repair :

did you replace the tps?

Customer:

No

tims auto repair :

ok..here is what to do

tims auto repair :

check the wiring to the map and the tps

tims auto repair :

make sure the haness isnt damaged

tims auto repair :

you may want to repplace the tps

tims auto repair :

but,,the 1478 code

tims auto repair :

leans toward a bad pcm[computer]

Customer:

That is what my plan was for today to remove the plenum and checkwiring and clean plugs

tims auto repair :

yes,,you may just have a brken wire to the map or the tps

Customer:

hey tim I no the scanner said battery loss in last 50 starts

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

this may be that the battery cable has been removed

tims auto repair :

a bad tps can cause this

tims auto repair :

so,,you may just want to replace it

tims auto repair :

does your scanner show the tps working?

Customer:

I thought the tps just caused high and low idle

Customer:

No codes come up for it

tims auto repair :

does your scanner have live data?

Customer:

I did remove the throttle body and IAC alon with the TPS and cleaned everthing

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I did notice inside IAC it had a buildup of a hard brown crust

tims auto repair :

the 122 code is for the tps

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

yes...clean the iac and the throttle body

tims auto repair :

but..i dont think the iac is causing this problem

Customer:

I will try these things and let you know what I come up with and please send me your e-mail so you can be compensated for it

Customer:

Do you think I should replce the TPS nothing has een done since it was bought new in 2003 and it has 93,000 miles on it

tims auto repair :

well..sense you get the 122..yes

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

003 Dodge Truck Caravan V6-3.8L VIN L
Throttle Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the electrical connector from the Inlet Air Temperature sensor.
3. Remove the air cleaner box lid. Remove hose from throttle body.
4. Disconnect the electrical connector at TPS.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector at IAC.
6. Remove the throttle and speed control cables from throttle body.
7. Remove 3 mounting bolts from throttle body.
8. Remove throttle body.
9. Disconnect the purge vacuum line from the throttle body.
10. Remove TPS from throttle body.

INSTALLATION
1. Install TPS to throttle body.
2. Disconnect the purge vacuum line from the throttle body.
3. Install throttle body.
4. Install 3 mounting bolts from throttle body. Tighten bolts.
5. Install the throttle and speed control cables to throttle body.
6. Connect the electrical connector at TPS.
7. Connect the electrical connector at IAC.
8. Install the air cleaner box lid. Install hose to throttle body.
9. Install the electrical connector to the Inlet Air Temperature sensor.
10. Connect the negative battery cable.

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

2003 Dodge Truck Caravan V6-3.8L VIN L
Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection, Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures: P Code Charts, P1478

04_cr03carav_pd-175.png
Full Size Image

Test 1

SYMPTOM
P1478 - BATTERY TEMP SENSOR VOLTS OUT OF LIMIT

WHEN MONITORED
Ignition on.

SET CONDITION
The Battery Temperature Sensor, internal to the PCM, goes above 4.9 volts or below 0.1 volt for more than 3.2 seconds.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- PCM

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I purchased the TPS and installed it according to haynes manuel and van will not start.

tims auto repair :

this dont make sense...

tims auto repair :

it shoul start..

tims auto repair :

should

tims auto repair :

let me know if you got it running

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim I removed the sheth on the wiring harness to the injectors and map and found bare wires so I took and coated coated the wires with liquid tape and everthing is up and runnig fine.
great
glad you got it
thanks for using justanswer
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic