Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

will only start cold with Starting Fluid and then raced..warms

I have a 1977 Tryumph TR7 that will only start cold with Starting Fluid and then raced until it warms up before it will idle.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back to justanswer...

I note what you have done so far...assuming they were allow, then th problem going of your description of the problem, woUld be an induction air leak on the inlet side of the engine.... Manifold / it's gasket and carb mount and so on... Basically sucking too much air causing the non start situation you have.

Get the engine running like you do then spray some fluid, spray oil or whatever suchlike all around the inlet manifold, pipe work and so on... When it hits on an area where have the induction leak it will suck in and the engine note will change, proving you have found the problem...and then of course cure that.

You could have a problem with the carb internally but try the above first in case... If you don't find anything, then you have a fault with the carb, it would then need stripping to trace / cure the problem.

Let me know if I can help you anymore,

Kind Rgds, MIKE.