Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
54869360

2006 Mercury: It only blows out of the defrost..dash vents

I have a problem with my 2006 Mercury. It only blows out of the defrost and the floor. I cannot change it to blow out of the dash vents. I ran the self test and I did not get a code. All of the lights lit on the screen. I checked for vacuum and I have 18 inches of vacuum on the black hose that goes to the climate control module. I also have a white vacuum hose that has vacuum that goes to the driver's side of the car by the steering column. I unhooked the battery for 10 minutes after checking the other 2. Is there another step I can take to figure out what is wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 5 years ago.

Hello I would like to help you with this.

From what you described you may have a problem with your EATC control which distributes the vacuum to the different sections of your air conditioning unit to control where the air is being distributed to.

Please see diagrams below which show the vacuum routing and connections as well as a troubleshooting chart.

I hope this helps you,

Please let me know if I can help further, and please remember to indicate that I have helped you today by pressing the accept button.

Thank you.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a way to test or check the EATC?

you need to check the connection number 5 for the vacuum hose which is the vacuum supply and make sure you have good engine vacuum at that point.

If you do not have vacuum that the point please check the check valve item number 16 and make sure that it is functioning. It should allow vacuum to be pull through it but not the other direction it could be blocked and not allowing backing to the EATC.

If you get vacuum into connection 5 on the EATC then it should distribute the vacuum to the appropriate output ports on the EATC for it to operate the vent controls.

If you have a good vacuum source at this connection and it is not distributing the vacuum only outputs 1,2,3,4 According to their proper function then the EATC needs to be replaced