The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

wont start..block..starting problems..cranks until it finally started

I have a 1983 308 QV GTB that won't start. I don't drive it much but do start it up about every two weeks and drive it around the block a few times. I've never had starting problems before, but the last time it did start, it would try to fire and took a number of cranks until it finally started. I let it run for quite a while before shutting it off. Now, I can't get it to fire at all. The battery is strong, and I've tried repeatedly several days in a row, but not a hint of it wanting to fire. . I have no clue what to try, other than flatbedding it to a Ferrari shop. I'm in the L.A. Area of So. Cal. The car has approx 15,000 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks. Greg.
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Well, if you want to take this one on yourself, first you are going to have to see if the vehicle is lacking fuel or spark. The easiest thing to try would be to spray a bit or starting fluid into the intake and see if it attempts to "fire". If not, the condition is likely caused by no ignition. I suggest you remove one of the spark plug wires from a spark plug. Insert a screw driver into the connecter and set the screwdriver so that the shaft of the plug is about 1/4" from a metal surface. Have someone crank the vehicle over while you see if you can see any spark jumping the gap to ground.

No if it did try to start with the starting fluid you know it is lacking fuel. Start by banging on the bottom of the fuel tank at it's lowest point (below the fuel pump) while someone else cranks it. If it starts the fuel pump in the tank has likely failed. If it doesn't start, check your manual to see the fuse legend and see if you can locate the fuel pump fuse and check it. If it looks good check to see if it has power on both sides while cranking it.

Let me know how it goes up to this point and what your abilities are to take this forward and I will further assist you.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. If you accept my answer, please don’t forget to leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”