Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

tires rotated the other day..Land Rover..disable..air suspension

Customer Question
Had tires rotated the other...
Had tires rotated the other day on my Land Rover LR3. Now getting a red "suspension failure" light. The tire shop did not disable the air suspension when they did the tires (they always have known to do so before). Also, terrible metal grinding noise to lt front wheel area when turning. All started just after rotation.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/23/2012
Auto Mechanic: CarQuestionGuy, Technician replied 5 years ago
CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

There is no way to know if what they did caused the suspension failure on your vehicle. These LR's had lots of problems with the suspension system. The most likely causes of this are either 1) the compressor being bad or 2) it needs a software update. These two things fix most of the suspension failure lights.

One option that some people go with is to convert to a conventional suspension system and get rid of the air suspension entirely. Here is some info on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF0yQC4pJ_Q

As far as the grinding noise...There are a lot of things that can cause that, but primarily these types of noises are caused by brakes. It seems like they would have looked at the brakes when they were rotating tires, but maybe they didn't.

Have you taken the car back to them? I would first try to get them to take a look at it and tell them that it all started after it was in their shop. There is really no way you can pin them down as being the cause because you could never prove it, but if they car about your business they will work out something with you.

Does this answer your question?
CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician