Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My ignition wont turn over on my 2006 range rover hseWhat do I do

Customer Question
My ignition won't turn over...
My ignition won't turn over on my 2006 range rover hse
What do I do
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/21/2012
Auto Mechanic: Repair1014U, Shop Owner replied 5 years ago
Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Shop Owner
welcome to Just Answer.
First make sure the vehicle is all the way in park, and hold the shifter as far up as possibile, then try.
Make sure your brake lights are working, apply the brake and have some one check the make sure they are working. If they are not working check the connection on the brake switch at the brake pedal, if connection is ok then the switch is bad and it is not sending the signal to the module to release.

If alll that is ok then you need to use a scan tool for the following:

1. A factory compatible scanner is needed to diagnose this issue.

2. When the key is inserted into the ignition switch, and the immobilizer senses the correct key, it sends a signal to the Steering Column Lock Module (SCLM) to unlock the wheel.

3. When the SCLM finishes its unlock procedure, it sends a message back to allow it to turn.

4. The scanner will be needed to see where the communication is being lost.

Possibile Causes:
Defective Steering Column Lock or Module.

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much

I was checking to see how you are doing and if you have any more questions for me?

If you do not have any more question can you please click the Accept Button in order for me to get credit for my time helping you.

Thank you and please let me know if you need more help.
Repair1014U
Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Shop Owner