Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How do I remove the a/c pulley from the a/c shaft?

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2012
ddamato1986
ddamato1986, ASE Certified Technician

ddamato1986 :

Hello I would be happy to assist.

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I am trying to replace a A/C clutch on a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo

Customer:

I have the front plate of the Pulley off but I am having problems getting the pulley itself off.

ddamato1986 :

Okay, do you have a puller kit?

ddamato1986 :

Do you know what make and model the compressor is?

Customer:

Yes, I have a puller kit, but it is only working on the front plate...

Customer:

No, that I don't know.

Customer:

I think it is a factory install

ddamato1986 :

Okay give me one second

Customer:

Ok

ddamato1986 :

Do you have a picture you can paste in? is the compressor in the car or on the bench?

Customer:

It is in the car, I have not pulled it, though I am beginning to think that is the only way to fix it since I cannot find any place that just has the A/C clutch, they all sell just the compressor with the clutch.

ddamato1986 :

Why not just replace the entire compressor?

Customer:

I didn't want to break open the system... but I guess I might have to if I want to have a/c this summer.

ddamato1986 :

That would be my best suggestion, If you are going to have the compressor out doing just a clutch there is no point

Customer:

Thank you for your help, it looks like a compressor is the only way to go. It is a lot more expensive that way but... doesn't look like I have any choice.

ddamato1986 :

Is this a customers car or yours?

Customer:

Mine

ddamato1986 :

Yeah, you will be better off in the future

ddamato1986 :

Be sure to accept and feedback is appreciated. Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Customer:

Ok, thanks

ddamato1986 :

Have a great day, I am also EPA certified for refrigeration systems, along with ASE certified

ddamato1986
ddamato1986, ASE Certified Technician
ddamato1986
ddamato1986
ddamato1986, ASE Certified Technician