Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

citroen picasso 2l hdi 04 plate...problems starting it up

Customer Question
I have a Citroen Picasso...
I have a Citroen Picasso 2L HDi 04 plate. Lately I am having problems starting it up. After starting it is fine all day. The battery is ok. I've been told it may be starter motor problems. Can you advise please
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/5/2012
Auto Mechanic: stin1974, Auto Service Technician replied 5 years ago
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
When it doesn't want to start, how is it acting? Is it just clicking and no turning the motor over or is it turning over the motor but just no firing up? Seem to be happening more often?
it is turning over the motor slowly and not firing. Happens more often in cold weather
So the starter doesn't seem to be turning the motor over at the proper rpm? Is this alway the case or does it seem to work fine at other times?
Works fine when engine is warm. The trouble is with the first start of the day when the day is still cool. Later on in the day if the weather is warm it starts, though a bit sluggish to do so
From what you are describing it possible that the starter motor is going bad. This condition isn't always the darter motor though. Th first thing to check if you haven't is the battery connections. A bad connection or dirty or corroded terminals can cause this problem as well. If the dryer motor doesn't get a steady flow of current because of a bad o loose connection, this can cause the starter motor to turn over slowly as you are describing. If this all checks out ok, I would consider a new starter motor. This is also assuming that your battery is good. I would also suggest having your battery tested at the parts store. Just because you battery shows good voltage, it can still be bad. There are two parts to a battery tat need tested. Have a load test performed on the battery. This checks the batterys performance under the load of the starter motor.
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Could it be anyting else? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new starter motor until I rule everyting else out
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Auto Mechanic: mechanicaltone, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
mechanicaltone
mechanicaltone, Mechanic
Hi you will need to get the battery tested first before replacing any parts. If you can test it first thing in the morning it would be better just to see if the battery is not holding enough charge overnight. If that test good then I would agree with stin1974 and look at replacing the stater motor.
The battery was already tested. ealth was 87% and the charge was 85%
If the battery has tested okay then the next thing you need to do is get a starter motor load test done. It will indicate if the starter motor is withdrawing too much current to run.
stin1974
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician