Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I expect to pay to have a cv joint replaced

Customer Question
i am really frustrated with...
i am really frustrated with just answer right now since I am now typing this question for the third time so most of the detail is going to be missing this time since I dont have the time or patience right now, but most importantly, how much should I expect to pay to have a cv joint replaced and how do I determine which one is bad?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/4/2012
Auto Mechanic: Dad Mechanic, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic

Dad Mechanic :

Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.Sorry uou are flustrated with Just Answers. I have not seen your question here before. I can give you my labor rate. but I don't know where you are located. The way I usually check for which CV joint is bad. First of all you hear a clicking noise in the front end, correct? Now the first I do is to get into a parking lot turn your wheels to the left lock position, put it in drive and do a tight circle. Next turn the wheels to the right and do the samething. the side that has the loudest clicking is the bad side. Next you can raise the car wheels of the ground and shake the joint by hand and see if it makes any noise. Real tatle tail sign is a damaged boot. Thanks for using Just Answers Jim. please wait and I'll be back with the parts and labor.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX likely at all that both would go bad at the same time?

Customer:

when I got the car, not too long ago, the front struts were bad, I bought, but did not yet install the replacement struts and the cv joints were not obvious at the tiome

Customer:

I assume that the bad struts may have sped up the cv joint's demise

Customer:

if both circles click a lot, is it both? and if only say the left turn, is it then the left joint or does that mean its the right one?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

i can do the struts no problem, but Im not as comfortable with the joints

Customer:

andf I am in lincoln NE

Customer:

how complicated are they to replace?

Dad Mechanic :

Ok i'm back at my labor rate it's $67.50 1 1/2 Hrs labor don't nknow the labor rate in your area I get 45.00/ HR. Parts price at Auto zone range from 50.00 to 80.00 $ They arn't to bad to change depending on how rusted front end parts are.

Customer:

dont you hasve to remove the hub first?

Customer:

where are you at? the hourly rate here for general mechanic labor is 80 - 130 now

Customer:

thats why this amateur (me) even tries this stuff

Dad Mechanic :

Well if you can do the struts you will have no problem with the cv joints you don't replace the cv joint you get the complete axle shaft rebuilt or new. they just pull ot of the differntial, you may give them a sharp jerk or good hit with a hamer topop them out of the differntial.

Dad Mechanic :

I think bad struts would have little to do with the cv joints going bad, the biggest reason is bad boots.

Dad Mechanic :

YES YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE HUB BUT IF YOU ARE REPLACING STRUTS YOU CAN REMOVE THE WHOLE ASSY AND LEAVE THE HUB IN THE LOWER PORTION OF THE STRUTsorry about caps big fingers

Dad Mechanic :

Long drive to north eastern pennsylvania

Customer:

hard to believe that labor is that much less in that area

Dad Mechanic :

Hope i have answered your questions. If you ok now it's time for me to leave the shop now. I'll be back on later if you need more assistance. Jim

Customer:

so, if a left turn clicks more, more likely it is the left, or the right joint?

Customer:

i have to look under the car now, you have helped a lot, Ill be back

Customer:

thank you

Dad Mechanic :

Well i'm 66 years old been doing this since I was 4 years old i don't have to make a fortune. This Just answers has been a bonus for me using my head insted of my hands. I get a little commission from these accepts.

Dad Mechanic :

Dealer rat here in Scranton is 95 to 100$/hr

Dad Mechanic :

rate not rat left click left joint right click right joint!~ Jim Be on later

Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Hi!
I hope I have helped to resolve your problem. I am checkin to see if I can assist with any thing else today, or clarify my answer to you.
Thanks for using Just Answers.
Dads Mechanic.
Jim
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic