Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1500 pickup: timing and when i hook the wire back up it wont start

Customer Question
I have a 1993 chevy(NNN)...
I have a 1993 chevy(NNN) NNN-NNNNpickup. I set the timing and when i hook the wire back up it won't start. If i leave it unplugged it will run?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/4/2012
Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 5 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician
and it was fine before you adjusted the timing ? what did you set the timing at with the connector unplugged ? when it will not start what is the engine doing ?poping?acting liek the starter cant turn the engine over?
after putting a new disributor in i set the timing at top dead center. hooked up the timing wire and it will start and die. unhook the wire and it will run good.
and it did NOT do this with the old distibuter ? and you are sure you have the timing light on the # 1 wire and what did you set the timing spec too on the timing plate? 0 degrees?
i replaced the distibutor because it need a pick up and module so i replaced it with a NEW distibutor. my light was on the #1 wire and set at 0 degrees. If its cold it will start with the computer hook till it warms up, then it starts jurking and dies. i disconnect the wire and it will start up and run fine. I did replace the computer but didn't help.
if that timing is set at 0 and when you hook that timing connector up( C114 in this picture ) and it dies but will be fine with it unhooked and it did NOT do this with the old distibuter there has to be something wrong with that distibuter
we thought it was a bad distibutor so we got another one and it does the same thing
would have been great if you told me that in the begining.let me open this up to the other experts.another expert will reply back to you no need to reply back to me as it will lock me into the question
Auto Mechanic: Dad Mechanic, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.I have read all your correspondence with the GMwrench. and I don't know what wire you are connecting and disconnecting.

still waiting for help.

I ask you for in put so I could assist you. What wire are you connecting and disconnecting
the tan wire that you disconnect to set timing. its on the firewall (passenger side) under cover
Let me re read what has already transpired here. I'll be right back
thank you
can you retrieve your old distributer? I assume you didn't check your timing before you changed your distributer? Have you verified that your timing marks are correct on the damper, the outside has been known to become un vulcanized and slip. Have you tried to just set the timing by ear. I would try to set with the wire off at 12 degrees advance and hook the wire up and see what happens. If this helps you could have a damper problem.

the timing marks are correct. I tried ti advance it to 8 degrees and that won't work so i guess i will try 12???

If you want to check for 0 degrees on the damper you can remove number one spark plug and put screw driver in the plug hole and turn the motor over by hand when it stops mark the damper at the pointer now turn it in the opposite direction until it stops mark the damper at the pointer 1/2 way between the 2 marks 0 should the there. jim
-i ment a trial at 12 advance if that seems to not work try 12 retarded. i think you should get it to run with the wire hooked up and set the timing by ear use to do to set timing this way all the time.
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic