Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Oop, I meant to say 1998, NOT 1988.

Customer Question
Oop, I meant to say 1998, NOT 1988.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/4/2012
Auto Mechanic: internal88, Auto Mechanic replied 5 years ago
internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic

internal88 :

What is wrong with the Vitara?

internal88 :

Welcome to Justanswer

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

It won't idle fast enough, but it doesn't misfire. The mixture is wrong. It has the wrong smell. My mechanic swapped this sensor with another one and solved the problem, I think. When he made the swap, the tailpipe gases changed from no pass to pass. I can't find one in Costa Rica, but will be in Dallas Monday and return Friday. The engine is a G16A. Setting the idle faster doesn't solve the problem. I grew up in the age of carburators and am over my head.

internal88 :

Where is the engine idling now? 750 rpm?

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

It idles at 750 rpm with a used sensor and when it is cold, but it idles at around 200 when it is warm, that is, until it dies. Where can I find this sensor? Do you think there is another problem?

internal88 :

Any check engine light on?

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

Yes, there is a yellow engine check light.

internal88 :

Did you hook it up to a OBD scanner?

internal88 :

What code did you get?

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

I don't know what an ODB scanner is. There are very strict emission standards here in Costa Rica, The national company that checks gas emission failed the car, and I did not get the sticker. The mechanic swapped it out with one from another car, and the car passed. I got the sticker.

internal88 :

Yes, in new york city also have strict emission.

internal88 :

Ok... Let me know explain.

internal88 :

Your car has an emission problem that is caused by a sensor or several sensors.

internal88 :

In order for us to change the correct part without wasting time is to plug in a scanner.

internal88 :

The scanner will tell you where exactly the fault is located.

internal88 :

In your situation, there are several sensors that control the idle speed.

internal88 :

Idle control valve, air flow meter, throttle position sensor, vacuum leak and map sensor.

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

This is Costa Rica. Finding a scanner before I leave is impossible. I am willing to gamble, and am ready to buy the part. I can't find it on the web. When I return, if I can find it, I'll take to and the car to the mechanic. I am an engineer and I think that the mechanic is a very bright guy. There is no one with a scanner within two hours of my little town.

internal88 :

Oh I see

internal88 :

Ok... I'm going to give you procedure to test the sensors

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

Presumably, the mechanic, Dixon, has done just that. When I am in Dallas, I think I can find the sensor, if I knew what it was. I don't know it's name. Swapping sensors may not be the best way to solve the problem, but I think it worked. I am willing to waste the money if it isn't the answer.

internal88 :

Did you see the sensor he swapped?

internal88 :

I think you mechanic might have changed the map senor.

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

No, he put the old one back in. The one that worked, he put back in the other car. I have a hunch it is a MAP sensor. The mechanic calls it a sensor de oxygen. He doesn't speak English. I speak Spanish. The number of the one on my car, for the G16A engine is PBT-GF 30. It might be the wrong one, it's likely it is the right one

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

I think the mechanic is saying the oxygen sensor.

internal88 :

There are two oxygen sensors installed in your car.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Heated Oxygen Sensor-1 (HO2S-1)
The oxygen sensor is installed on the exhaust manifold to detect the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust gases. The oxygen sensor heater promotes activation of the oxygen sensor.

internal88 :

Heated Oxygen Sensor-2 (HO2S-2)
The oxygen sensor is installed on the rear side of TWC to detect the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust gases just like HO2S-1.
ECM judges deterioration of TWO by comparing waveforms of the output voltage from HO2S-1 and HO2S-2.

internal88 :

Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. A BONUS is greatly appreciated! I will still help you after you accepted.

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

It is not on the manifold. I don't recognize the second picture. The piece he swapped out and told me was defective is between the air filter and the intake tube, and is big and bulky and has a screen and a piece of wire inside. This is what he wants to replace. I do understand what you mean by comparing wave forms. Dixon could be wrong. As I am going to Dallas Saturday, I am willing to gamble. I am not an expert. Should I also buy those two sensors. Is there a number for the MAP sensor. Can I buy it (or all of them) through the internet. I know I can have them sent to a friend in Dallas.

internal88 :

OK it is the air flow meter.

internal88 :

If he swap out the air flow meter it works then it the air flow meter problem.

internal88 :

The circuit board inside is shorted.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

This is the MAF sensor

internal88 :

This is the part number 1380058B00

internal88 :

A new one cost $1072. Maybe you can get a remanufactured one that is cheaper.

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

The price is likely to be the reason he has not found one for me. I think he is looking for a remanufactured one and can't find it. Do you know where I can find a cheaper one on the internet or a store in Dallas? In any event, I'll pay you after your reply. Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

One that is remanufactured.

internal88 :

I know Autozone and Advance auto sell it.

internal88 :

The name of the manufactures can be Cardone or Blue streak electronic.

internal88 :

Both company are from USA.

internal88 :

Autzone, Advance, O'relily or Napa - These stores will have it. Give them a call first, most likely they will need to order it.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

$240 from autozone - you can also order it online.

internal88 :

Go to Autozone.com

JACUSTOMER-6fttrrk3- :

You're a winner. Thanks, so much.

internal88 :

internal88 : Hi, it looks like I have helped you out. Please accept my answer so I get credit for my time. Than you sir.
Your acceptance did not go through. Can you please accept because I did spend my research time on your issue. Thank you.
How is the car? If I have help you out pLease accept my answer, thanks.
Can you Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. Thank you!
internal88
internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic