Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

goes dead..problem,coil packs not the problem..fuel lines or in fuel

Customer Question
car still goes dead,plugs and...
car still goes dead,plugs and wires not the problem,coil packs not the problem. could there be aproblem in fuel lines or in fuel pump.this has going on for 4yrs.i need a sulution.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/3/2012
Auto Mechanic: Dad Mechanic, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic

Dad Mechanic :

Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.I will need you to help me out here before i can give an help. What is your vehicle, make, model, year. Are there any codes? If you haven scanned it is the check engine light on? You can try to start it on starting fluid just to see if it's fuel or we are dealing with ignition. Jim

JACUSTOMER-zoj2k62z- :

cadillac deville de elegance no codes been scanned ,no enginelight on, car goes dead but starts right back up.

JACUSTOMER-zoj2k62z- :

is someone still going to help?

Dad Mechanic :

Sounds like the fuel pump may be going bad, But latly I have had a rash of fuel pump relays latley, when they heat up they disconnect. This is a cheap fix 16.00 to 25.00 dollars. You can just buy one and replace it. much cheaper than a 200.00 to 300.00 dollar fuel pump. If this doesn't do the trick you can check the fuel presure when this is happening. You didn't give me the year so I can't give you the exact location of the relay. It should be located in the engine compartment around the left front inner fender. Thanks for using Just Answers. Jim Please remember to press accept as this is how I get my commission. Jim

JACUSTOMER-zoj2k62z- :

replaced relay ,still got same problem. if fuel pump is going bad,how come this has been going on every since i bought car.got any more suggestions before i go to acadillac dealer?

Dad Mechanic :

Well it can't be any real ignition issues or it would throw a code. the only thing that would cause your problem ignition wise and not throw a code would be a loss of power to the ecm or somewhere between the battery and the ecm. anything after the ecm would throught a code. Can you hear the fuel pump running in the tank when the car stalls and before you turn the key off and try to restart? Jim

JACUSTOMER-zoj2k62z- :

cannt hear pump but car starts right back up.

Dad Mechanic :

WEll the pump will cycle untill presure builds up and thenn shuts down untill the presure drops. Your problem is a hard one because you can't diagnose it while it is working. can you have someone check your fuel presure? or you can buy a cheep fuel presure tester at Harbor Freightnor Advance auto then youwill know if youare loosing fuel presure.

Dad Mechanic :

How often does you car shut down hourly daly weekly? are you doing someting when it shuts down, like turning lft or right stopping starting out? driving on a rough road or any other thing that is the same when it quits?

JACUSTOMER-zoj2k62z- :

as long as you are giving it gas it never dies got on hiway doing 65 in cruise control never dies at ahigh rate of speed. coasting will make oil light flicker , then i give it gas light goes out,which stops car from dying.car goes dead only when coasting or under acertain speed like 40mph.

Dad Mechanic :

Well that sheds a little light on the subject i would have to look at the oil presure sensor to see if it is one with 3 wires that control 3rd wire controls the fuel pump eitheer your oil presure senor has gone bad or you have low oil presure at idle cvausing the ecm to shut down the engine. you need to have the oil presure checked manually to assure you have oil presure if you have good oil presure you will need a new oil presure sending unit. Jim Thank you for using Just Answers. Jim

Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
still got same problem,there got to be a cause for the shutting off at low speeds .i asked same question yesterday,still no reply. what happen to my reply.will accept when im satified so far im getting no cure for what going on.
HAVE YOU REPLACED THE OIL PRESURE SENDER OR HAD THE OIL PRESURE CHECKED YET? Jim
had same problem with old motor,cant be sending unit oil pressure good.what are the odds that same problem occurs.as long as i cant get a answer why should iaccept? there got to be an ANSWER.........
Is the oil pressure light still flashing before the stall? Would be the same problem if the sending unit was from the other motor, when I change a motor I put all the accesorys from the origanal motor back on the car because of compatability issyes. Jim
OIL LIGHT FLICKERS,GIVE GAS LIGHT GOES OUT .NOTHING FROM OLD ENGINE WAS USED WITH THE SWAP. COULD THERE BE A PROBLEM WITH A COMPUTER?
with the oil light blinking some thing is telling the computer there no oil pressure and shutting down the engine.
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic