Auto Psychic
Auto Psychic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  semi retired mercedes benz master guild technician
59210310

runs great..swapped..online fuel filter, checked fuel flow..timing

Customer Question

my 1960 triumph tr3 runs great at rpm under 2800 but after that suffers from what I can only call fuel starvation.
i have swapped fuel pumps, replaced an online fuel filter, checked fuel flow at the carburetor and this all seems okay.
have to think perhaps the issue lies in the timing/vacumn system.
am not a skilled mechanic and relatively new in the triumph world but do have a Haynes manual.
any suggestions.
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Psychic replied 5 years ago.

Auto Psychic :

sorry to hear of your misfortune :(

Auto Psychic :

heres a couple of things you can try.

Auto Psychic :

pull the distributor cap and twist the rotor, there should be some springness indicating your mechanical advance weights are working.

Auto Psychic :

pull a vacuum on the vacuum advance with a hand vacuum pump if you have one with the engine running at idle.

Auto Psychic :

this should advance the timing and raise the idle.

Auto Psychic :

advance the timing manually a bit at a time buy turning the distributor counter clockwise until it pings on acceleration, then back off just a tad.

Auto Psychic :

insure you are getting full throttle mechanically.

Auto Psychic :

this might be a little tricky, pull off the top of the carburetor and bend the tab on the float just a bit to raise the float level.

Auto Psychic :

that should keep you busy for a while.

Auto Psychic :

good luck, gary

Customer:

will have time to follow the suggestions made tomorrow eve.

Auto Psychic :

may the force be with you :)

thank you for trusting the auto [email protected], always happy to help, gary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a local car electronics shop confirms your suggestion about the distributor.
As i can get a new offshore replacement for $100 plus ship I,ll go that route or perhaps get a electronic one for $200 which the local shop recommends.
Replacing these parts instead of spending money trying to repair and adjust seems to me like the right thing to do.
Burt
i think your absolutely right, also i'd spend the extra hundred and get the electronic one.
have you heard why the english like warm beer.
because lucas electronics builds the refridgerators lol
gary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand the Germans also intentionaly didn,t bomb the Lucas factorys in WW11.

Something about not being certain about how this would affect the war effort.

Thanks for the help. After installing the new distributor, etc, and if it still doesn,t go fast enough I might just park the car in river and use it for a boat anchor. In the meantime I got a car that runs fine up to the speed limit, and no more, and as my wife,s friend Martha would say, "and that,s a good thing"

Realistically, thats where all British cars of that 60,s era belong (in a river, on a landfill, etc.), except they pollute so badly.

There, we solved today,s problems, time to go for coffee.

Burt

ps thanks for the help
carry on mate :)
gary