Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1994 Isuzu Amigo: it garaged for 4 years..drives..Jag

Customer Question
I have a 1994 Isuzu...
I have a 1994 Isuzu Amigo 2 WD I recently purchased. The person I bought it from, a dear friend and lover, had it garaged for 4 years becase it had a lost title and expired tags. He drives a S Type Jag so it pretty much just sat there; out of site out of mind. He is also the person helping me fix it and I'm sure he isn't trying to pawn he problems off on me. Everything else in the truck runs perfectly with the exception of the following.

The only thing really wrong with it was it had a leaking clutch slave cylinder which needed replacement. Upon purchasing it I swapped it out for a new one and bleeded the system so that there was no air in the lines. After doing so the cluch would not disengage properly and grinded when you attempted to put it into gear. We managed to get it back to my house as I have a better garage for working on it. We attempted to further bleed the it and had no luck. I suspected there may have been something wrong with the master cylinder so we also replaced that. Still, same problem; maybe slightly better pressure but still really close to the floor. With noting else to fix in this hydraulic system minus changing the hydraulic line we shimmed the slave sylinder so to get some additionl travel on the fork thing that goes into the transmission. It seemed that we should have been getting enough to fully disengage it at that point but I don't have anything to compare it to see. Is there a spec as to how much travel it should have?
We then bled it repeatedly and it got a little better so we continued to do this. When we continued wer began using one of the 'one person bleed kits' that trap fluid so we could reuse it and not simply waste it. At this point all the fluid in the line must have been new and cycled though quite a few times. It was noticed that as we reused this fluid (it had to be clean due to the amount of flushing, why not?) that it began changing colors. I read that cloudy brake fluid could indicate water in the fluid but thought that would be a whitish color? This looks dirty. I also read that you can clean the system with a certain kind of alcohol or brake cleaner or something. Should this be our next step? I want to eliminate all possibilities before we drop the tranny and root around in there. This clutch only has about 10,000 on it and should not even be close to halfway through it's life. It has been replaced previosly I will not though. The trowout bearing wasn't replaced then though and he said that it had a slight whine when it disengaged and that it should be replaced next time the clutch does, that is a separate issue though I'm sure. If not the hydraulic system what in the clutch assembly could be making it not want to disengaged? I don't know that much about them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hugs & hearts,
~Denna
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/14/2012
Auto Mechanic: Dad Mechanic, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Sorry for your trouble. If your friend is honest about the clutch working ok when he parked it. If it hasen't been disengauged for those 4 years. I have had this happen before sometimes the clutch won't disengauge ast all. The clutch meteral can grow fast to the flywheel or the presure plate. The proper way to remidy the problem is to replace the clutch & presure plate & cut the fly wheel. The quick fix and probably the cheepest would be to place the vehicle higher gear and reve the engine causing the clutch to slip. you will have to do this a number of time don't mine the smell it will go away. If this works for you you have worn some life off the clutch but you may have saved some money. Remember to press accept if you are happy with my answer as this is how we get paid. Thanks for using Just Answers. Jim

JACUSTOMER-jq6ncjrf- :

So like 4th gear? Just put it in 4th and rev it so it stays running?

JACUSTOMER-jq6ncjrf- :

I would be really surprised if he was not telling the truth, he is trying to help me fix it!

JACUSTOMER-jq6ncjrf- :

So essentially this breaks the clutch free? Is is corrision that holds the clutch and keeps it from disengaging?

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Yes 3 or 4 slip it may smoke a little. Don't do it to long so as to over heat the presure plate springs to take the temper out of them. You may need too do this a couple of times if it improves the problem just noermal driving should finish polishing the flywheel & presure plate. But it could have ddone enough damage it may never get better with out replacement. Jim

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

It Does reliease Some doesn't it it just doesn't shift easly?

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Thiss should help then. I have had them stick so bad you had to pry the disc loose front the flywheel & presure plate. samething happens to disc brakes that sit with out moving i have had them take a chunk of castiron out of the rotors.

JACUSTOMER-jq6ncjrf- :

Yes, It seems like it does disengage a little because I can faintly hear the while if the throwout bearing.

JACUSTOMER-jq6ncjrf- :

It was drove about 5 miles to my house with my friend driving and power or speed shifting.. something like the IDK. I tried it earlier and will here again in a bit.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I hope it becomes normal for you. Jim

Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic