Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

1995 isuzu: electrical fuei system..relay..swich in side of the cab

1995 isuzu electrical fuei system the fuel pump works the relay is good the fuse is good but still can not get fuel to the motor. can i make the fuel pump work off a swich in side of the cab
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

So the fuel pump is running? What is the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't know the pressure cannot get the pump to run inside the gas tank. cut out the connector and wired it direct thinking it was a faulty connector. the fuse is good and the relay is good.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
So even with the new pump wired directly, it is not working?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fuel pump works directly off the battery, can i hook it up directly with a toggle switch? does not work when i put it in the gas tank with the original wiring?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
It could be that the ecm is not commanding the pump on, have you ruled that out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the ecm located?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Is this a Rodeo or Trooper?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1995 v6 rodeo
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
It is behind the driverside pillar panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is a pillar panel is this on the inside of the cab by the window sheild on the drive side
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, that was misleading, the panel down by your feet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is not the fuse box right. you are talking about the side panel down by your feet?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Yes, behind the panel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
neal is this a coastly item and can i by this part at the auto store
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
They are about $300 from the local parts store.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

neal is there anyway to check this unit out befor give up $300

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
No, all you can do is rule out other problems and naroow it down to the computer. I do see these fail pretty often as they are aging.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
neal this problem started as intermtintint problem it would start run for week then stop then it would run for a week then stop now it will not start at all do e.c.m go like that
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
It can, you can try a bump test, literally bump it with your hand and see if you can see any kind of change in how it acts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
took side panel off bumped it with my hand still no start. there is a wire hanging with a white clip should it be plugged in anywhere?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

That is likely just an unused connector. I cannot say offhand. The bump test is worth a try but not a sure thing.

If you have ruled out other causes, the problem comes down to the ecm.