Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

turbo..warning lights..vehicle is a range rover sport 3.6 tdv8 58 reg

Customer Question

hi there my car was hit by a snow plough it had cosmetic damage and is being repaired at the moment . The body shop are now saying one of the turbos is seized but the insurance wont cover it.Before the collision there was no sign of this i.e warning lights or any power loss of power just wondering what the real symptoms are would a diagnostics machine tell when it happened . The vehicle is a range rover sport 3.6 tdv8 58 reg
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Was the vehicle smoking out the exhaust at anytime or engine light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no thats whats confusing me no smoking no lights on no power loss
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
How was it determined the turbo has failed then ?What test did they do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dont know just telling me the Turbo seized but would not have been caused by the collision i just want some answers thought technology these days told you exactly the fault and when it occured
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes your 100 percent correct .When a turbo fails it will smoke and be noisy.This can just be an electrical issue due to that impact a broken connector or damaged wire harness.I would definately get another opinion and ask them to tell you exactly whats going on and if the turbo did actually fail mechanically tell them to tell you what the cause was .This would be the next step to get the correct answer before spending that much money.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks but i still think the diagnostics read out on this vehicle in this day in age should tell me time date etc am i incorrect
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
No again you are 100 percent correct .The failure should be stored in the vehicles computer thats why you need to have another shop check this out.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.