How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike S. Your Own Question
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 7500
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
Type Your Car Question Here...
Mike S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Reno: 1957 plymouth Fury II stationwagon..replace the stabilizer bar

Customer Question

I am in Reno, NV. I have had a 1957 Plymouth Fury II Stationwagon - since it was new. Now I need to replace the stabilizer bar, but cannot find a "replacement". I thought I had, and it was sent from Missouri, but the bushings were totally rotted out. I don't know if getting an after -market bar is possible - or if I have to buy one of these so called "replacement" bars, in unworkable condition - to send it somewhere else to be reconstructed. Do you have any advice?

Thank you - Thomas Shaw
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.


Which bar are you referring to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am referring to the front stabilizer bar, also called a "sway bar". One side of the bar in my car is broken. I ordered one through a broker, who said they found a "replacement bar" but when it arrived it looked like it had been out in a cow pasture for 30 years. The bushings were all rotted out so I sent it back. Should I looked for an aftermarket item or should I look for another bar and then send it to someone to refurbish it with new installed bushings?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
By far the best option is to get a better used one and have new bushings installed. Even if the bushings look decent I would replace them while it is apart.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I already know that it is good to find a better used bar - but my question (maybe it wasn't written clear enough) is when one can't be found - what is better - an aftermarket bar - Is there such a thing? If so, where? - if a bar has to be refurbished, where does one go for that? Any names? Any addresses? Any suggestions where to go.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I left out the aftermarket sway bar part of the answer. I know of no one making them. But you should be able to find one as it is pretty unusual for them to break. There are some large salvage yards in Arizona and Texas that have a lot of 50's car and should be able to provide that for you.


Here are a couple


3C Salvage 330-262-9300


FREMAN'S AUTO (406) 287-5436


An article with several listed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This still doesn't answer the question. I have access to "replacement" sway bars from junkyards - but none of them have bushings and when I spoke to my mechanic, here in Reno, he told me that what I was bringing was no good. And the sway bar has two permanent bushings built into the bar. When they are rotted out, it is not easy - or perhaps impossible to put a new busing in that closed in space. For some reason, I find sway bars but cannot find bushings. Without the bushings, the bars unusable. If this require a remanufacturing shop somewhere, I need to know where it is. If I could find a better bar - yes, I would, but there does not seem to be such a thing, given how many years these old bars were used.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

You would be surprised, there are a lot of those old cars in yards that do not have that many miles on them, so if you want one you can use as is it is quite possible to find them.


I gave you info to several yards, and I would make some calls and see what you can find.


There is no one I know of rebuilding those as a specialty. You would just need to find a machine shop or fabrication shop to do it for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been looking for three months and not found a suitable part yet. No one guarantees them, and if there is a good one out there somewhere, it is not easy to find. The time and cost of returning unusable parts has persuaded me to find a different approach. That's why I asked you this question, thinking you may know something I don't. I've gone through the salvage yards in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas and New Jersey - finding nothing usable. With the cost of $300.00 plus per part, I'm trying to get back money spent on returned parts. I'm sorry you were not able to answer my question. I'll just move on - perhaps to shops that specialize in vintage cars. There's no need for further questions or answers.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

1957 Plymouth Fury 8 Cylinders 5.2L 2BL
I know of 2 places to check for used parts, and the second boasts about having a database with over 5,100 Used Auto Junk Yards, this is the largest list of dealers of used auto parts ( used auto spares ) on the net.

Let me see what I can find.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

I found one at car-part for $50.

Stabilizer Bar Only

Stock# H02692

All American Classics USA-WA(Vancouver) E-mail 1-800-955-4999

mailto:[email protected]

Vancouver, WA 98682


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dropped the question after I realized that the answers I received were not the answers I was looking for. I went to a vintage repair shop and they are refurbishing the sway bar. I was unable to get any advice from anyone, where to find a bar that was completely ready to install, as a replacement. For some reason, all the "replacements" offers I got were for old incomplete parts that were in no condition to replace anything. I have solved the problem, myself. I haven't clicked on an answer regarding "Like" or "Dislike" because the issue was not one that I could make a comment about.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.