Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

paint..already gray primed..my question is..what are the best

Customer Question
I have a 1972 Chev.truck...
I have a 1972 Chev.truck that is ready to paint..already gray primed..my question is..what are the "best" colors to use to see the least flaws? Any thoughts on this? (my husband is going to do the painting himself)
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
4/2/2012
Auto Mechanic: ASE Master Guru, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru, ASE Certified Technician

ASE Master Guru :

Hello, my name isXXXXX you want to hide flaws then paint it white. hides everything! Light colors tend to hide blemishes and dirt much better than dark colors such as Black. I have a black motorcycle and car and you can easily see every imperfection, spec of dust,door ding and body distortion.

Customer:

I thought so...what do you think about yellow?

Customer:

Can you recommend a paint kit? Lacquer?

ASE Master Guru :

yellow isn't to bad, Lemon? Canary?

Customer:

Right now, it has some yellow in the cab and on parts of the engine..it looks kinda like a taxi-cab yellow (!?) well, maybe not quite that gawdy, but, close....

ASE Master Guru :

I like using Sikkens brand myself, very durable

ASE Master Guru :

Easiest is single stage

Customer:

Does Sikkens make a paint "kit" ...and who carries it?

Customer:

acrylic lacquer is the way to go?

ASE Master Guru :

most quality Automotive parts stores should offer it or be able to get it.

ASE Master Guru :

Acrylic laquer is fairly easy to put on

Customer:

I think he should take the thing to Earl Sheib!!! (haha..April fool)

ASE Master Guru :

Better than a rattle can although not much better

Customer:

Krylon? Sounds good to me

ASE Master Guru :

RUSTOLEUM all the way:)

Customer:

how many coats

Customer:

After all of this, we're selling it on eBay...wanna buy a yellow truck? (smile)

ASE Master Guru :

Depends which paint you decide to go with. If its a single stage then one, if BC/CC then probaly a few to get good coverage. Check this website out for more ideas and prices on kits. http://www.paintforcars.com/enamel_paint_kits.html

Customer:

what about the psi questions

Customer:

ooops..I didn't send it yet..he wants to know if a 40psi spray gun OK to use for the lacquer

ASE Master Guru :

Once again this is dependant on the type of paint and which paint system

ASE Master Guru :

(gun) you are using

ASE Master Guru :

An average gravity feed will be somewhere around 35 psi

ASE Master Guru :

If it is a HVLPHigh Volume Low Pressure gun then it will be much lower

ASE Master Guru :

Check the accompanying literature for the gun you are using

Customer:

Ok..thanks for all the info..I will be back if he thinks of more stuff

ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru