Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2000 chrysler sebring: Hi,im working..conv...automatic shut..circuit…

Hi, Im working on a 2000...
Im working on a 2000 Chysler sebring JXI conv. Will not crank from key. will crank from PDC.
I need to know the test steps in checking the automatic shut down relay circuit at the power distribution center. Ived checked the relay and it is fine. also where is the nutrual/park switch at? no SKIM in the car.
joe
3/26/2012
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

The automatic shut down relay isn't part of the starters circuit. The transmission control module houses the neutral switch.

For the wiring diagram, click here.

Are you jumping the relay and if so how? from what to what?

I had been working with Jeep Mopar 76 for two or three days these are anyway you can access my questions to him I have several and end of sentence explains exactly what I did this car if not I'll give you a briefing.

This car was bought from auction they tried to start it without skim to which shut down the whole system I have replaced the PMC BMC I have unpluged the skim module at the steering column key area everything seems to work all lights all electric idems seemed to work fine OBDII onboard test end of sentence shows no problem yet still don't crank. I checked the relays and power distribution center they were fine.

I checked the relay circuit at the power distribution center for the starter solenoid it seems to be fine my check procedure was as follows terminal 30 was hot at all times terminal 87 was battery voltage to the starter solenoid coils at all times terminal 86 is energized with the ignition switch in the start position it was fifth in the last step terminal 85 that's where a lot of the problems with the park neutral switch that's the reason I am that I went to the automatic shutdown delay because I was afraid it was damaged when the skim symptom was still in the car

thanks joe

Those numbers are not matching up to my diagram.

Let me see if I can find another diagram specific to the JXI conv.

This is for the 2000 Chrysler Sebring 2.5 JXI conv, and it's the same, click here.

Is the engine not cranking or not starting, cause you told me not cranking?

ok

my info comes from alldatadiy online repair intructions. said it was for 2000 sebring convertible 2.5L Hope yours is better,

joe

not cranking from the key . but I jumped pos battery post to terminal 87 in the PDC and the engine did crank.

joe

With the key on start? Cause that pin 87 should already be hot at all times. If so, check that fuse 8.
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

hi,

it will crank from pin 87 jump to the positive post with the key off or the key on.

Fuse eight in our distribution center is fine all fuzes were checked at the distribution center and fuse panel . not trying to start car now just to get it cranking by the key

joe

Ok, since we are working off of two different wiring diagrams, can you tell me what pin numbers yours refers to?

Just let me know what A,B,C and D would be in this diagram.

graphic

hi,

do you have a email or fax I can send you a copy of the diragram im using? My schematic shows five terminal points starter motor relay distribution center plug in for the relay your shows only 4 ABCD in the engine starter motor relay . I think it is spin B on your schematic could be A not sure. pin A on mine says 83 pin B 87 pin C 81 pin D 79

Well then what color is the wire to it? I think you have it wrong, 81 and 87 are together either on the top or bottom, so you must mean A=81, B=87, C=83 and D=79. Does that sound correct?

Anyhow if you are jumping battery + to B=87, that should already be hot and that would not crank the starter without the key. You must be jumping to A=81, that is from the ignition switch with the key on start. So, check that yellow wire at the relay and the switch.

your pin 79 ic my 87. your right on the 81 and 87 are together which is my pin# XXXXX and 86

Ok what color is the wire and is it the wire from the ignition switch?
yellow and does come from the ingnition but now I have the problem of the security light on the dash blinks now it did not before I ran a vtss test on the veh and I think I messed up now wont do anything at all no ware can not even hook up the obdII and link with veh says failed to connect also the horn and lights started flashing and sounding had to pull relay at fuse panal to stop

Did you by chance use a different key?

no, its the one they made at the auction to get the mileage so it could be sold. its the one ived used from the start it has no chip in it
So now you cannot test that yellow wire?

When the vehicle is disarmed, the systems are restored to normal operation. The alarm system will not arm if the doors are locked manually by pushing the lock knobs. This will manually override the system. The tamper alert consists of 3 horn pulses when the vehicle is disarmed.

Try that.

Then this, Passive disarming occurs upon normal vehicle entry by unlocking either door with the ignition key/remote transmitter. This disarming will also halt the alarm once it has been activated.

everything back to what it was 0

everything back to normal pin 79 your pin D cranks motor swithch on or off

pin 86 your pin A turns test light on when key is turned to start.

pin30 your pin B shows hot all time

pin85 your pinC nothing at all no power no continutity

OK, ground pin 85 C and then turn the key to start. If the starter cranks then something is wrong with the tan/red wire to the pcm or the pcm itself or the starter relay control. If it still don't crank then that relay is bad.
Check for code P0165
An open or shorted condition detected in the starter relay control circuit.

ok;

i have tested the relay and its good tested the engine starter motor relay cavitity and all pins check out good. there was one last step to do and thats where I started today with.could not ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Did you type this or is this a problem with the website. That last word I got was not then this```````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Its me im tired. The last step was the park/.neutral switch test and I can not find a test instruction by steps Thats all thats left in the system I think.
Did you try this? Ground pin 85 C and then turn the key to start. If the starter cranks then something is wrong with the tan/red wire to the pcm or the pcm itself or the starter relay control. If it still don't crank then that relay is bad.
The neutral switch is obviously controlled by the pcm because the wiring diagram only shows voltage going to it, nothing else.

Then it should crank. all componits check out good I dont know what to do?

whats left to check? It looks like one of my messages got lost. the one where I did the relay test and relay cavity pins check all check out good. with the last test you gave still no crank fron key

Sorry, I was napping.

It has to crank, one of two ways or the relay is bad.

Did you ground pin 85 C and then turn the key to start?

If you did and the starter still did not crank then the relay is bad. How did you supposedly test the relay?

Look on that vehicle for another relay with the same part number and swap it.
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic