Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

hello, my car makes a horrible grinding noise when i crank

Customer Question

hello, my car makes a horrible grinding noise when i crank the car. it starts and doesnt make the noise again. i am going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong. i have replaced the battery, alternator, starter twice and the flywheel. please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.
Does it screech as if the starter isn't engaging or is there a metallic grinding like broken parts?
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The starter engages because the car starts up in one shot. It sounds like metal grinding. I replaced starter , it still made the grinding noise so then I changed the flywheel put it back together and still made grinding noise. then a week after I replaced again with new starter and still makes grinding noise only as im cranking. If its any help long before it began to make grinding noise I had my car on a slow charger and cranked up the amps to the highest it went and tried to crank car but it wouldn't turn over. Made Weird noises and smoke began to come in the car as if something were burning. It only did it while I tried to crank with the slow charge with high amps maybe 150 amps ?
Hello again.
Have you tested the starter off the car?
I realise it's the second one to be replaced. 150 amps is a massive amount to charge at, are the cables in good condition after the smoke. Was the battery dead flat before you tried to charge it?
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both starters were brand New and tested before being shipped to me. battery was flat dead before and after charging but then after i bought a New battery and been using that ever since
I am sorry to ask so many questions here, was the original starter making the noise?
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes after overcharging
This is quite a strange one.
Just to ask another question because I struck this not long ago on a different make of vehicle entirely , Is the battery the right way around ?
Negative earth?
With that kind of charging it could charge backwards.
I struck a car with the battery in backwards. It's starter howled.
It didn't start though.
Can you get someone to start the car while you watch the cables for shorts and sparks please.
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That battery is brand new never been charged. This grinding noise is related to the starter I feel like but not sure. Had,a mechanic look at it and he is stumped. We changed battery, starter and flywheel have spent alot of money and same problem persists
Really the starter is going to have to come out and the protrusion checked between the starter and the ring gear to be sure its meshing properly.
I would bench test the starter too before refitting it.
Sometimes the starter will have the wrong number of teeth on the pinion.
Do you have the original one still?
regards
Mechanic Martyn