Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1990 isuzu: 2.3 pu oil lieak at the front seal on crankshaft

Customer Question
1990 isuzu 2.3 Pu oil...
1990 isuzu 2.3 Pu oil lieak at the front seal on crankshaft. Have replaced seal 3 times with different brands. HELP
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
3/3/2012
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is the seal just leaking or does it get pushed out?

Is this a manual transmission?

manual trany just leaks

Try measuring the play of the front pulley as someone presses the clutch to see if it moves more than a couple of thousandths of an inch. Each time the clutch is pressed about 800 lbs of forward thrust is placed on the back of the crankshaft and this will wear the thrust surface over time. If you hold the clutch in at lights that pressure is always applied and it wears faster.

If the crank is moving forward and back the seal will leak

The other possibility is that there is excess pressure in the crankcase. If the PCV is plugged or the intake in the valve cover is restricted the blowby from worn cylinders can cause enough pressure that it blows oil out the seal.

Let me know what you find and how I can help you

Thank you

I checked the clearance on the inplay of the crank shaft. It is close to specifications. The pcv works fine. No other seals leak. I instaled a speedy sleve on the crank shaft.2 seals back. Any other sugestions? Sorry late getting back to you Gene

If you have a good surface and the thrust is good and there is not excessive blowby in the crankcase I am out of ideas so I will OPT OUT and open your question to all the experts. Maybe someone else has more suggestions for you

Sorry it was not what I sugested.

Auto Mechanic: Walt-Mod, Moderator replied 5 years ago
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes I would like an answer to my problem..Thank you Gene
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 5 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Hello!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question. The previous expert is correct on the things to check that can cause a new seal to leak.

The only thing I wanted to add that might help is to use some silicone to the outside of the seal after it has been inserted into place. This may help it seal a bit better. Don't use it on the seal surface that contacts the front cover, just put it on the side after the seal has been inserted in place. You can use clear, red or black silicone. Just a small amount will do the trick.

I hope this helps!
How long does it take for the silicone to dry.....Gene
Only a few hours. But if you want, you can let it sit overnight to be sure that it is nice and dry before starting it up.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech