Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Tracker: stopping..master cyl and abs ubit..booster

Customer Question
1996 GEO Tracker with ABS...
1996 GEO Tracker with ABS, brake pedal goes to floor with out stopping vehicle. Master Cyl and ABS ubit are one piece mounted to booster and fender skirt. Bleeding makes no [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
3/1/2012
Auto Mechanic: Techman, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Techman
Techman, ASE Certified Technician
Hi, are you getting fluid from all the bleeders? Which lines were replaced?
rear lines from junction block on frame to real wheel cyl. Yes fluid was flowing from all bleed screws
Have you done manual bleeding with a person pumping the pedal?
The vacuum bleeding will sometimes not work when manual bleeding will. Manual bleeding will also let you see which brake circuit is building fluid pressure.

If you've done that, then I would remove the rear drums and inspect the wheel cylinders for leaks.
Also check the condition of the rear brake shoes, and the adjustment. if they are worn out or out of adjustment, then it will allow excessive pedal travel.

Also inspect the front calipers closely for leaks.

Let me know your results.
Thanks
Shoes and pads were previously replaced. Yes also tried manual bleeding with two people. No leaks at rear wheel cyl or front calipers. Yhis was all done a few hundred miles ago and wehicle worked well for many miles, the pedal failed and vehicle did not stop correctly and in a day or two pedal was going to floor with no loss of fluid and no leaks.
How many miles on the vehicle?
about 75,000
Ok, thanks. At this point, with no leaks or fluid loss, all signs point to the the master cylinder. A faulty seal in the 16 year old mc will cause the pedal to go to the floor with no pressure build up.
The master cylinder should be removable and replaceable separately.
Check rockauto.com, which will have pictures to match up the part with the one on your vehicle, there are several options.
Two things here. The entire unit (master byl with ABS unit) was replaced about 15 months ago when this happened and it worked for 15 months and now failed again. The replacement master cyl listed A1 11-2765 is not the correct unit as it is only a master cyl and the one on this GEO is all one piece with the ABS unit (one casting)
Ok, that is a very odd poor design. But if the same issue happened before, and was fixed with a new unit. A new complete mc/abs unit will be needed again. What was the condition/brand of the last mc/abs unit?
What type/brand of brake fluid was used?
unit was new from GEO. Brake fluid was dot 4 from advance auto and dot 4 from NAPA
Relist: Answer quality.
You had no new answer from anything that had already been tried. I hoped that since my ASE Cert. was from the sixties you may have had more answers than I could come up with myself. I'll continue on my own and thank you for trying.
Chuck
Good luck.
Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 5 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Hello JACUSTOMER, will the pedal pump up and get firm? What bleeding procedures have you followed?
FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician