bamaman39
bamaman39, Technician
Experience:  10 years ford technician,20 years working on cars
17239397

I took my 2005 PT Cruiser in for the 60,000 mile maintenance.

I took my 2005 PT Cruiser in for the 60,000 mile maintenance. The service adviser said I should have the timing belt replaced because it should be replaced at 70,000 miles or five years and if the belt broke it would destroy the engine. I agreed but when I checked my owner's manual later the maintenance schedule states that the timing belt should be changed at 90,000 miles for schedule B and 120,000 miles for schedule A. When questioned the service adviser said that because we live in a dry climate we should not go by the owner's manual but should replace it earlier. What do you say?

bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer

bamaman39 :

Hello

bamaman39 :

So you need to know if to change the timing belt

bamaman39 :

I see your car is a 2005 and over 60k miles

bamaman39 :

You here?

Customer:

No the timing belt has been changed. I want to know if I have been ripped off because the owners manual states that it should be cahnged at a much later time.

bamaman39 :

No yo have no been ripped off. The 5 year is correct. I have seen the cruisers with less miles pop the timing belt. They get dry rotted and will break

bamaman39 :

So i do agree to change it at this time