Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

classic: only drives a few feet then goes..tranny..gears..slipping

Customer Question
my 1990 range rover classic...
my 1990 range rover classic transmission only drives a few feet then goes into freespin like the tranny is slipping.

I turn it off and wait and shift through the gears. it goes a little way then back to slipping.?

any thoughts
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
2/5/2012
Auto Mechanic: stin1974, Auto Service Technician replied 5 years ago
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Have you checked the fluid level and the condition of the fluid?
yes fluid is clean and full
Any noise from transmission? Also, did this happen all at once or was this o something happening before it got to this point? Doesn't get any better once it's hot?
no it happens cold . I did notice some type of relay click every time it would shift
I thought it would only go a couple feet then neutral out. So you can drive it at times and it has all the gears? Shifts through all the gears?

No it happened twice then it does the same thing . it will go a hundred feet shifting through the gears the just free spins out and rolls to a stop still running fine.

Let me make sure I understand this. So this only happens when it's cold? When it's warm it operates fine? Are you hearing a clicking when you are shifting the hear shifter or when the transmission is shifting from 1-2 2-3 ? Also, is the check engine light on while running?
It has not had a chance to warm up The clicking was a slight noise I noticed driveing months before while at normal speeds as soon as i would take my foot off of gas it would make a little click. that could have been from a heat sheild i put on under to protect tranny from cross over exhaust pipe. the problem is it seems to just lose pressure and free spin
Oak well I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding what's going on. Almost sounds like a low fluid condition but you are sure it's full. Sounds like it is something internal in the transmission to me. It may be a bad torque converter or possibly the pimp in the transmission is bad. I would suggest having a transmission shop hook up a pressure Guage to the transmission to see I you are getting proper pump pressure. That the first thing I would suggest. They shouldn't really charge you anything to determine what the problem is. I would Suggest having that done first. Sounds Like something internal in the transmission though.
You must hit accept for me to get credit if you feel this information was helpful. Thanks
not really I knew it was an internal problem I just need to lnow what to change or repair. some websites mentioned internal o rings that caused similar symptoms. I need a expert to give me a part # XXXXX send me a scematic?? is that possible?
That really wouldn't be of any help. Like I said it sounds to be internal which means th transmission will have to come out. Theres no way of seeing inside the transmission at this point to know what the problem really is. It could be bad seals inside or it could be the pump or converter as I stated. That's why I suggested having a pressure gage hooked up to see what shows up. Either way it sounds like the transmission will have to come out and be repaired. Your other choice is finding a used transmission with lower mileage and having that installed. I would still have a shop hook up what diagnostic tool they can (pressure gage) and see if they see anything as fr as a pressure problem. It's even possible that it may be a valve body problem. That's why I would have that done first, in case it is something that may be fixed without actually removing th transmission. As I said you should be able to find a place that will diagnose for free. And as I said, it could be a number of things but there is an order to go about in determining If it must come out. theres no parts to order to repair it at this point because there's no way of knowing what Is going on inside.
I have already taken the transmission out I have a new torque converter but am not convinced that It is the problem can it be presure tested out of vehicle and if it does test bad what can I excpect to replace. Its a ZF ?? ever heard of this problem
Can you pressure test what? The old torque converter? Yes you can pressure test it but that's to test for leaks. If it wasn't leaking then I'm sure it's fine in That aspect. The internal parts (clutches) are what need to be checked. You can generally tell if a converter is bad by using a pair of snap ring pliers and seeing if you get resistance when spinning the internal spline back and forth. Anyways, there's a ton nothings that will need to be checked once the transmission is apart. Such as worn drums where the pump rings ride, broken or worn pump rings, the internals of the pump itself, ripped or hardened sealing rings or o rings, valve body, possible stuck valves in the valve body, a bad sprag. You sort of have to know what you are looking for and specialty tools are required to even get the transmission drums apart to check these things. It's also possible that the converter is bad. I wish I could tell you exactly what's wrong with it but that's impossible. I would suggest getting the book for this transmission from transtar or recon and going through it with that if you are trying to do this yourself. I'm not exactly sure where you are at. I was under the impression it was still in the vehicle. That's what I would suggest though. I'm not sure what kind of experience you have with rebuilding transmissions but it's a specialty in itself and is why they have different show for them. It's not a simple thing to mess with them if you aren't experienced. May wanna look into a used one and use the new converter. That's really the best information I can give you at this point. I hope this helps.
stin1974
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician