Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport: New battery-tested full.

Customer Question
1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1.8L...
1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1.8L. Weak or no start. New battery-tested full. New ignition control module (no help). Alternator tested good. Newer starter-took in and tested fine (no load). Hooked up remote start to bypass ignition switch and clutch cutoff relay-still turned weakly. Noticed odd thing when using the remote start-a big spark where a wire is grounded to the starter body. Bad ground or is starter working too hard? New throw out bearing installed by auto shop prior to starting problem. Took a while to be satisfied with how clutch worked. Wondering if there could be some sort of clutch drag (even when supposedly disengaged) which is not allowing my engine to spin as freely as it should thus making my starter work too hard to turn over engine. Engine seems to run great after I am able to get it started (which is happening less and less often). Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2012
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

this sounds as if you have a ground problem

tims auto repair :

it doesnt seem to be the clutch,,sense it works fine after it starts

tims auto repair :

the first place to start is the battery cables

tims auto repair :

make sure they are tight and clean at the battery,the engine[ground]and the starter[positive]

tims auto repair :

this is presumming your starter is good

tims auto repair :

fact is,,,,if the cables are tight and clean,,the problem is the starter

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

battery connection is good, starter connection is good. Have not checked ground at engine. the starter has been checked by the parts store and its good without a load. Is it common for a starter to be good without a load the fail while under load?

tims auto repair :

yes,,it is very possible for the starter to work without a load and to not work well under load

tims auto repair :

but,,check the cables first

Customer:

can you explain the big spark that I get where the ground wire (I assume) is attached to the starter body when I try the remote start and probably regular start, too?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

this tells me..one of two things

tims auto repair :

either you dont have a good ground

tims auto repair :

or,

tims auto repair :

the starter is bad,and pulling too many amps

tims auto repair :

it was using your remote to ground

tims auto repair :

and it isnt big enough to handle the amps

Customer:

should I try to test the starter under load while its in the engine before I just try to replace it? It's only about 9 months old?

tims auto repair :

check the cables first

tims auto repair :

but,you already are testing the starter under load

tims auto repair :

and,it isnt working

Customer:

true, what do I look for at the engine ground loose? corrosion?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

make sure it is tight and clean

tims auto repair :

'fact is,,if it isnt the cables

tims auto repair :

it is the starter

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Let me ask you. currently the starter is out. it was pretty tough for me to get it out and probably even harder to get back in. Are you sure enough that you think its the wires that I should put the old starter in. and then maybe have to replace it with a new one after ?. Or should I just try a whole new starter now?

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

this depends on how the cables look

tims auto repair :

if the cables are in good shape

tims auto repair :

they are tight and clean at all 4 points

tims auto repair :

then you may just want to get a new starter

tims auto repair :

if you find somthing wrong with the cables

tims auto repair :

use your starter

Customer:

Ok thanks alot. I'll take your advice and accept it. thanks alot.

tims auto repair :

make sure you have a good ground from the battery to the engine

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic