ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

How to remount valve in hydraulic pump?

Outlet  valve hydraulic pump
After dismounting the hydraulic pump (powersteering pump) there is a small valve with a spring which should be mounted on the outlet of the pump. Which way should the valve be mounted? And on which end should the spring be mounted on the valve? The valve is located inside the outlet of the pump, where the hose will be fastened on the marked picture. Defender 1995 3,0tdi engine

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im still waiting, please find me an expert asap..

Regards

Ragnar

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I have still not got any answer on my question, in yourreply you promised me a feedback within 15 minutes, whats the status?

Regards

Ragnart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not get any answer what so ever since yesterday morning.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Hi, my names Jesse and ill be happy to help you with your question.
I have been trying to locate an exact diagram for your make and model, with no luck. However, here is a diagram i can show you however of a very similar design power steering pump.
This is a very common design, and i believe should illustrate the proper order for assembly. Have a look it at, and let me know if its helpful.
graphic
Thanks,
Jesse
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The drawing looks correct, but I need the description to the drawings, as the valve looks a bit different. My valve is open in one end and half way trough, ind the middle there is 1 hole on each side. The other end is closed. My question is, which way shall the valve be mounted? Whith the open end of the valve against the pump, or the open end of the valve to the hose..
Do you have a way to take a picture to share of the valve and parts? Im fairly certain your going to want the valve installed with the open end towards the hose. A look at how the parts might fit together would be helpful. My access to rover info is slim, so im just trying to picture and walk through it along with you. : ) Even the professionals can lose track of which order things go sometimes...so dont feel bad it happens. I'm certain we can figure this out quick for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Heres the picture of the valve and spring,
Lokkong forward to your suggestion..
As you m ight noticed, the valve and spring just followed the oil stream when I dismounted it and I did not had a chance see how it was mounted..
Thanks for fast reply..Valve_and_spring
It appears to from the picture, that the spring should be installed over the longer end of the valve (that is facing down in your photo.) The larger groove towards the top, may line up with a hole or groove in the pump body when installed. Are there any noticeable holes or grooves for oil flow in the body of the pump you can see?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pump is mounted in the car and the hole where the spring and valve should be mounted is facing down, ( like under the car) so cant look in to it.
But your answer is satisfying, as it is how I thought it should be.. Logical to be honest.
Thing is that after mounting it, ( if it is wrong) I have to demount both the intercooler and radiator to get to the outlet of the pump. This is why I need to be surtent before continuing mounting the rest of the stuff.
So thank you for your time, the answers is satisfying :)

Regards

Ragnar

Your welcome, glad i could help out! : )
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
FYI
The Defender is running like a charm, the valve was mounted the right way in the first place, and the powersteering is smooth and direct. :)
Thanks again..
Your quite welcome, glad to hear it!