Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

2000 Isuzu Trooper: ENGINE WHICH IVE BEEN TOLD COULD BE a lifter

I am cosidering buying a 2000 Isuzu Trooper from EBAY but the vehicle has a noise in the engine. Here is how the noise is described.THIS TROOPER HAS A NOISE IN THE ENGINE WHICH I'VE BEEN TOLD COULD BE A LIFTER ISSUE. THE NOISE IS CONSISTENT AND SOUNDS A BIT LIKE A CONSTANT TAPPING. IT IS LOUD AND IS DEFINITELY IN NEED OF REPAIR. THE CAR DOES RUN BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO DRIVE IT ANYWHERE IN THIS CONDITION.
Apart for the noise, the vehicle is in excellent shape and I am interested in purchasing it. I would like an opinion on what could be causing this noise. These engines have hydraulic lifters. The engine has about 125,000 miles. I cannot provide any additional information but I am willing to pay for an opinion based on the limited information provided.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This is a common problem on the Isuzu 3.5, and is caused by a sticking valve lash adjuster. Sometimes changing the engine oil to a synthetic type like Mobil1 and adding an oil additive like Sea Foam or Lucas oil additive will help free up the lifter(s). If this does not help, then replacement of the lash adjuster/lifter will be required. If the rest of the vehicle is in very good shape, then I would still recommend purchasing the vehicle and worse case scenario, replacing the lash adjuster(s) if needed. Hopefully the oil and additive will free up the lash adjuster and you will be good to go.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How many valve lash adjuster / lifter does this particular engine use. Can you give me the exact name of the part? Thank you

It is known as a lifter, and since this is a dual overhead cam 24 valve engine, there will be 24 lifters. However you probably have one or 2 that are noisy and probably do not need to replace all 24.

Chris