Car

Auto transmission..the selector the car acts like its in park…

Customer Question
I still have the same...
I still have the same problem with this 2002 Land Rover Freelander. It has a JF506E auto transmission. When you shift down to 1 st gear on the selector the car acts like its in park. It will not move, but its in gear, engine is not freewheeling. Its in first and park at the same time. Put the selector in second and it will move freely no problems.... Read full answer
I still have the same problem with this 2002 Land Rover Freelander. It has a JF506E auto transmission. When you shift down to 1 st gear on the selector the car acts like its in park. It will not move, but its in gear, engine is not freewheeling. Its in first and park at the same time. Put the selector in second and it will move freely no problems. If you put the selector in drive it will move freely but all of a sudden slam to a stop like it went into park. Needless to say I do not like driving it to test it. I asked this question before. The answer was not correct. My feeling is that it is the shift selector sensor. I need an expert to tell me if this is right. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
1/19/2012
Auto Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
What does the truck do if you put it in neutral? Will it move?
Hello, In neutral it doesn't move and the engine revs freely. The car moves freely in neutral when pushed. It acts normal in all gears except Park and 1st.
It sounds like you have a pressure leak in the transmission (most likely at the valve body) that is causing the second gear clutch to be activated whenever the trans is shifted to forward gear. I don't think it is going into park since that is a mechanical lock, requiring the shifter to be moved. But if the second clutch pack is always engaged then it will lock against 1st and 3rd so when the trans tries to shift it locks up in two gears. Regardless of how the leak is occurring you will need the transmission taken apart for inspection and rebuild/repair.
I am a mechanic. Can the valve body be removed with the trans in the car? I will take it apart and clean and inspect it, and install new gaskets.
Yes, it's tight but it will come out. I would probably replace the 2nd solenoid too if I didn't see anything else wrong in there.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Land Rover won't move out of park. And “transmission fault
Yes. And “transmission fault and few gears available “ … read more
Technician,
I removed the timing belt before I new what I was doing, I
I removed the timing belt before I new what I was doing, I never worked with double over head cams especially the land rover 2.5 V6 freelander with two timing belts at the rear of the engine I need to… read more
Gary
Gary
Our 2002 Land Rover Freelander loses power temporarily form
Our 2002 Land Rover Freelander loses power temporarily form time to time. Sometimes it will do it several times in a row without ever lasting long enough for the engine to die or even come close to dy… read more
Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
LandRover 3: 2008 Land Rover. Car was working fine until 30
2008 Land Rover. Car was working fine until 30 minutes ago. Stopped and it restarted, but it won't let me shift into gear. It says System Fault; Limited Transmission Options. Any ideas--even how to dr… read more
Land: Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. Problem
Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. Problem is the transmission is locked in Park and cannot move the gear shifter out of Park. This is Jim. Grateful for any help.… read more
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Mechanic,
Land Rover Discovery Series II: Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover
Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery 2. Problem is the gear shifter will not move out of Park. Locked in Park.… read more
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
land rover freelander: 2002 land rover freelander 2.5L If
2002 land rover freelander 2.5L If drive about 15miles(means engine hot).Car is not start back on until engine cool down. I replaced cam and crank position sensor but still same. I sprayed starting fu… read more
greasemonkey2386
greasemonkey2386
Technician,
my 2002 LAND ROVER FREEELANDER 2.5L runs great , But sometimes
my 2002 LAND ROVER FREEELANDER 2.5L runs great , But sometimes when i stop after a quick trip the engine turns over but will not start . after sitting for an hour or so It will sometimes restart .This… read more
Jake
Jake
Audi Technician,
LandRover Freelander: I have a 2004 Land Rover Freelander. When
I have a 2004 Land Rover Freelander. When I start the car it works fine, but when I try to drive it doesn't move until I put about 3000 rpm and then it moves slowly. What could be the problem?… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
Faster..brakes..the tranny is tring to shift into reverse or something
2002 Land Rover Freelander, When in drive moving forward slowly, because you can't drive it any faster, it will all of a sudden feel like someone slammed on the brakes, and them it will disengage and … read more
Repair1014U
Repair1014U
Recently Retired,
2002 SE..check engine light..my car drives..replace my
fisrt off i have a land rover freelander 2002 SE the check engine light read im having tranmission problems my car drives but but it takes off slow do you think that ill most likely have to replace my… read more
Neal
Neal
Auto repair pro, 30 years experience,
light went..day same problem..engine light came..car wont start
i have a 2002 land rover freelander.. car cranks but does not turn over,,,... i replaced the crankshaft position sensor , and the "engine maintenance soon" light went off***...but later that day same … read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Stop searching for answers—
A used 2002 Land Rover Freelander two days ago and today a light came
Just bought a used 2002 Land Rover Freelander two days ago and today a light came on the dash that looks like a green gear with an "S" in the middle...… read more
Greg
Greg
Shop owner, technician,
considering buying a 2006 model...reliability..too many faults
What are the typical mechanical problems of the new Freelander2? I am considering buying a 2006 model. I have read about many problems and reliability problems with the mark 1 but haven't anything on … read more
Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee
Automotive Diagnostic Repair Technician,
2003 mazda tribute: v6..it wouldnt select the gears..gearbox..neutral
hi there i have a 2003 mazda tribute which is the 3.0l v6 automatic (colum shift) the car has been going perfectly but i parked the car today put it in park and when we returned to the car to leave ou… read more
Neal
Neal
Auto repair pro, 30 years experience,
Third gear..bump..it doesnt accelerate immediately..indicator lights
Land Rover 2002 bought used @ 15,000 in 2004 - Original transmission out after a year - Out again in 2007 - Now, after driving it for a while, when it goes from second to third gear, I feel and hear a… read more
Rich
Rich
Technician,
I have a 2001 v6 land rover..loses power..next time..same thing
I have a 2001 v6 land rover freelander that loses power sometimes but then comes good then the next time you drive it it might do the same thing again?… read more
Rich
Rich
Technician,
I have got a 97 Range Rover 4.6 SE and the gear shifter cable..towing
I have got a 97 Range Rover 4.6 SE and the gear shifter cable was removed to facilitate towing. after connecting the shifter cable back on. I was able to change gear on the gear shifter but it is extr… read more
Rich
Rich
Technician,