Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1991 toyota pickup: 2006 Nissan..cab..bonds to the plastic trim

I am looking for a...
I am looking for a product that will restore
the plastic trim pieces on both my 1991 toyota pickup
which has black trim pieces and also my 2006 Nissan Frontier
crew cab which has a dark/medium gray for most of the body trim.
My Nissan, in particular has really bad chalk discoloration on the trim.
I found a black restore product that bonds to the plastic trim and lasts
a decent time between needed applications (6 months +). Is there any
Products that will do the same for my gray trim, out if there a way to buff
out the chalk discoloration and then protect them from turning again?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2012
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Have you tried using mineral oil on a soft cloth, We have used this with a lot of good luck, You can lightly buff the white from the thin plastic, and it soaks into the plastic (helps to soften it) and it will keep it looking nice,Thanks
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
I have not tried this method. Do you think using a 6” random orbit buffer would work to apply and cuff, I have both a 6” and a 10” buffer, but thought the smaller will get into the areas needing buffed easier. The other thing I have not verified is how the dealerships/manufactures sealant/prorector warranty works. I paid the$900 to have then apply both interior and exterior protector. The frontier logo and gray paint on the roof rack is pealing off, and that is paint on metal OEM installed equipment. Seems to me that the trim should be protected by this plan, and most certainly the paint pop off on the roof rack.Have you had any experience in exercising a claim against one of these sealant/protection plans. I will wait to hear from you before trying the mineral spirits, would be nice to be able to use a buffer for the grunt work!
You should hand buff them to keep from damaging older plastic trims, a buffer can damage them (burn spots, discolor, etc) Then after using the min. oil, wash them with soapy water and them spray them with clear coat spray for vinyl
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Thank you for the suggestions. Especially not to use
The buffer as it could have caused more damage!
I will let you know how things work out.
Mastertech1
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician