Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Dodge: Caravan 3.8L 95K miles:I have a distinct miss..stop light

02 Dodge Gr. Caravan 3.8L 95K miles:
I have a distinct miss every few seconds only when at a stop light. I have put the van in park in my driveway and taken my foot off the brake so as to isolate the booster on the power brakes. The problem persists. No engine problem shows up on the computer. Help! It is getting worse.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

what all have you tried to correct this problem

tims auto repair :

does it miss out on the road?

Customer:

I have not noticed any miss on the road. My mechanic hooked up his obd to my car and saw no issues. He pulled the spark plugs and they were clean (about 25k). The wires are high quality replacement at the same time as spark plug replacement. MPG has not really changed: (about 23 mpg on highway only and about 17mpg city. We change the oil 4 times a year. My mechanic says that it will have to get worse before he can really diagnose the problem. I am really worried because my wife is undergoing chemo and radiation will follow.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

what makes you think it is missing?

tims auto repair :

can you feel it?

tims auto repair :

do you feel it in gear while sitting still?

Customer:

The miss is a distinct shake. Yes even my wife notices it and it alarms her. Yes, usually it is worse when in drive at a stop light but I have noticed it also when in park in my driveway.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

sense the engine light doesnt come on yest

tims auto repair :

yet

tims auto repair :

i would think you may want to tune it up again

tims auto repair :

i know it has been done

tims auto repair :

but,,,,it is possible to get bad new wires,,,,even if they look good

tims auto repair :

also..the wires may not be on the rear plugs good and tight...sense they are so hard to get to

tims auto repair :

this is what to check and do..sense it isnt giving a code

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tim,

I know it is very difficult to answer a question when there is no obd code. But I was hoping for more specifics. Your answer was generic. I was hoping for more specific experience based answers including factory service bulletins. I lhave been going to this mechanic for 30 plus years, so when he says he checked the connections on the spark plugs and pulled them, I believe him. But, just like you we are all human and make mistakes and sometimes someone forgot to seat a wire or pulled the wire incorrectly. The problem is that I came into the mechanic with the problem. It did not start after they serviced the car. Still your advice is sound. The problem with the diagnosis you made is that type of miss is worse under a load. This miss is only at idle. If you think of any thing else, please e-mail me

well

this is all you can do when the engine light doesn't give a clue,,you haf to fall back on experience,,,,,,,,fact is,,there is no button to push here,i wouldn't think it is a sensor or anything like that,or you would get a code..........believe me,the plugs and wires can cause this,,,even if they look new

thanks