Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Olds alero: restarting..the service engine soon light illuminated

Customer Question
restarting olds alero with the...
restarting olds alero with the "service engine soon light" illuminated on the dash. have already reset the computer and still cannot start motor, the fuel is shut off for some reason
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
1/6/2012
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does it have a spark?

tims auto repair :

if the engine light was on...can you give me the trouble code?

tims auto repair :

explain to me how it quit?

Customer:

it stopped running three days ago due to a "oil diagnostic light", that is, it ran low on oil

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

what does it do now?

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNNis my phone, much faster than this
tims auto repair :

i am not allowd to call

tims auto repair :

sorry

Customer:

ok

Customer:

read the details of what I originally asked, it is all there

Customer:

and what i have done to correct the problem

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

did you get any trouble codes?

Customer:

now the service engine soon light is lit, and will not extinguish itself

Customer:

no, no trouble codes

tims auto repair :

when you first turn the key on....does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds?

tims auto repair :

ok..the engine light wont go off until it starts

Customer:

but I have not checked today, it started finally yesterday, and then when i went to change the oil, I started the car, left it to run and warm up for better oil drainage, and it died. now will not strart\

tims auto repair :

i see

tims auto repair :

does the fuel pump come on?

Customer:

it is impossible to hear the fuel pump, but it does NOT come on, the system interupts the signal which allow the relay to power the fuel pump

Customer:

no fuel pressure for the injectors is the problem,

tims auto repair :

it should always come on for the first 2 seconds when you first turn the key on

tims auto repair :

it should come on and go off

Customer:

unless you are familiar with the interlocking electronics of this car, i dont expect you will know what to do.

tims auto repair :

lol

Customer:

the relay that powers the fuel pump is locked out, so it will not run at all when the computers say turn off

tims auto repair :

but...does the relay come on,,for the first two seconds?

Customer:

NOI

Customer:

it is never energized when the system is in shutdown, i only7 know this from trying to solve this for the last three days

tims auto repair :

does the security light stay on?

Customer:

it does sometimes energize when the crank or start is attempted with the key, but not when just turning the key to "on"

Customer:

not any more, i am quite good at resetting the security, main, and oil diagnostic computers, all three of them

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it is not passlocked

tims auto repair :

are you close to the car?

Customer:

i have bypassed the passlock function by installing a 2200 ohm resistor in the circuit of the passlock device

Customer:

not close,

tims auto repair :

do you know for a fact,,,that the fuel relay does not come on for 2 seconds?

Customer:

the above bypass worked fine yesterday, the security light doesnt come on

Customer:

as above, only when turning the key to start

Customer:

not in on position

tims auto repair :

ok...so you do have fuel pressure while turning the engine...correct?

Customer:

and there is no fuel pressure at the distribut9ion pipe for the injectors

Customer:

no, it would start if i had fuel pressure, and it wont start

Customer:

all this is after having removed the fuel tank, and the fuel pump and doing tests to determine that there is no problem wen the fuel puymp is ienergiozed

Customer:

the problem is overcoming or overriding the computer which turns the fuel pump OFF when it wants to

tims auto repair :

ok.............

Customer:

so, like i said earlier, if you dont know about this electronic system, it will be hard to help me

tims auto repair :

ok...i will opt out...someone will be right with you

Tim's Auto Repair
Auto Mechanic: JHoop, Auto Service Technician replied 5 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

New expert here. Still need help?
i presume you have read the first dialog I had with Tims auto repair?/
Yes i have. But i need to clarify some things. First, if the PCM had a problem firing the fuel pump relay there would be a related engine code. Follow me?
good morning,

at this point, no codes,
When you first turn the key to run with the gas cap off and an assistant to listen, do you hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds?
are you there yet?
well, i guess i will stay here drinking coffee until you notice this post
to anser your last question, no, we didnt hear the fuel pump run, that is the exact problem.
whatever it is in the electronics that controls the fuel pump has turned it off. I understand it can happen if oil level is too high or too low, if the security system says turn off the car someone is trying to start it the wrong way or illegally, or if the passcode is failed.

to this end, I have gone through the reset of the security system, no security light is lit, and i have installed a resistor in the passcode circuit that defeats it for ever. also have performed three or four resets of the computer in the car, the security computer reset method also. in addition have reset the oil diagnostic computer. all of this prior to yesterday when the car started and ran long enough to move it out of the shop and park it. then I started the engine to heat it up some before changing the oil. I left it running and returned some minutes later to find it stopped and it would not restart.

then proceeded to go through all the resets again, but again, no fuel.

the original problem was too little oil, and then the oil was overfilled and it would not start in that condition either. have removed the gas tank, removed the gas pump and bench tested it, no problem running and as i said, it started allowing me to move the vehicle. and now we are here
Do you have a scanner to read parameters from the PCM?
not sure what that mean, i do have a computer plug in unit to read the trouble codes
You do not know what a scanner is? It reads what the computer is doing.
this is a pain in the butt, I am waiting in the waiting room and you are responding but I do not get told or moved out of the waiting room so we can message each other.

I have a "unit" i plug into the port in the vehicle which shows what the computer error codes are etc, is that the scanner you refer to?
You need to use your e-mail account to answer me. Can you do that?
of course, but isnt a im window supposed to open when you are answering me. it did yesterday for the previous conversation you read. I dont really know how to reach yo through email. gmail has a im method if we are both gmail i think. this is my email:
[email protected]
Look. Every responce to this thread has a related e-mail Look at your e-mails from JUST ANSWER!!!! Follow me yet? Respond to the e-mails
i think you have to select the instant messaging for us to use it, the only think i get is "[email protected]" to reply to
I think you have to initiate an instant message for us to use it, the only email i see [email protected]
I will try to get you some help. I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Please do not reply as it will lock me to your question and no other expert can answer you. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop
you have to start a message for us to communicate
OPT OUT
Auto Mechanic: mechanic110, Auto Technician replied 5 years ago
mechanic110
mechanic110, Auto Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.
I will assist you with your problem in a professional manner and will try to resolve your problem quickly.

I have read the posts concerning your problem.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the vehicle?

You really need to follow the diagram closely and inspect everything.

Somewhere along the line the car may have had work done on the wiring and it could be something as easy as a bad connector installed by a previous technician.

It's very time consuming and can be frustrating.

Have you tried to wiggle the wiring harness while an assistant is cranking the car over?

I have seen instances where a mouse or some other critter partially chewed a wire causing some strange electrical problems.

Please post your comments and I will try my best to help you resolve this matter and get the car back on the road.

Steven,
Finally hooked up the wires so I could test the fuel pump which since I bench tested it last week, had failed and was not pumping fuel.
So, removed both the fuel tank and then the fuel pump, and replaced the fuel pump with a new one($275), problem solved and car is back on the road/

thanks for try;ing

Glad to hear the car is back on the road and out of the shop.

Electrical problems can really be challenging.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic