normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

2002 Volvo: smells like gas inside the car all the time

Customer Question

My 2002 Volvo cross county smells like gas inside the car all the time. What could this be?
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 5 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is Alan and I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

There is a recall that may be the source of your problem. Let me give you the explanation of it and then you will need to check by VIN to see if it has been performed already. If you give me the VIN I can check tomorrow or possibly it will need to be tuesday.

JACUSTOMER-xdxtn1qz- : I will have to get the vin number do not have it handy
normanahoyt :

I am trying to upload the file on the recall...give me a minute...you can get the VIN to me later

JACUSTOMER-xdxtn1qz- : Vin number is: YV1SZ58D321078198
normanahoyt :

Full Size Image

normanahoyt :

Ok, I will check on that recall as soon as I can but it will probably be tuesday before it is possible to access that database.

JACUSTOMER-xdxtn1qz- : Thanks the email I perfer is [email protected]
normanahoyt :

We will continue to communicate via this thread as emails are off limits. The link to get back in will come to whatever email you are using with Just Answer.

JACUSTOMER-xdxtn1qz- : Okay thanks look forward to hearing from you.
normanahoyt :

Ok, good bye for noe

normanahoyt :

now...that is

normanahoyt :

I will check on this in the AM, sorry I forgot to do so before.

normanahoyt :

By the way, what state are you in. The recall relates to vehicles sold in the following states:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, District of Columbia and U.S. Territories.

normanahoyt :

Here are the pertinent statements from the bulletin:

normanahoyt :

Volvo investigations has identified that a specific version of the fuel pump can when exposed to certain environmental conditions (hot climate and temperature cycling) over time and in combination of varying fuel quality, develop cracks in the fuel pump flange. If the condition occurs your customer may notice fuel smell and/or fuel seepage.

normanahoyt :

Well, apparently your vehicle hadn't had the recall and now it has been done this week.

normanahoyt :

Did that resolve your problem?

normanahoyt :

Please use the accept feature to complete this process and thank you for the question