Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1998 isuzu amigo: tranny..clutch & i cannot..bolt..wheel drive

Customer Question
1998 isuzu amigo removing tranny...
1998 isuzu amigo removing tranny to replace clutch & i cannot get to seperaTE at the top. appers all the bolt from the bell housing to the engine are out but ???
it is n4 wheel drive 2.2l engine
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
1/1/2012
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

first ,do make sure all bolts are out!!!

but,sometimes the clutch disc can seige up and not slide off of the front transmission shaft easily...you will need to just keep prying until it lets go...please make sure all bolts are out

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1998 Isuzu Truck Amigo 4WD L4-2.2L
Manual Transmission/Transaxle Service and Repair, Procedures: Unit Removal and Installation, MUA Transmission
49_sz98rodeo_7b-008a.png

DISASSEMBLED VIEW

REMOVAL

NOTE: Before removing transmission assembly (4X4) from vehicle, change the transfer mode to 2WD using the 4WD push button on dash panel.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove gear control lever knob (1).
3. Remove transfer control lever knob (2) (4x4).

84_hn01passp_7b-007a.png

4. Remove lower cluster assembly.

60_hn01passp_7b-007b.png

5. Remove rear console.

61_hn01passp_7b-007c.png

6. Remove center console.

63_hn01passp_7b-007d.png

7. Remove grommet assembly (4).
8. Remove gear control lever (5) and transfer control lever (5) (4x4).

65_hn01passp_7b-008a.png

9. Raise and support vehicle with suitable stands. Remove transfer protector (6) (4X4) and fairing plate (7).

10. Remove rear propeller shaft (8).

78_sz01rodeo_7-312a.png

NOTE: Apply alignment marks on the flange at both front and rear sides.

11. Remove front propeller shaft (9) (4x4).

43_sz98rodeo_7b-010c.png

70_hn01passp_7b-008d.png

12. Remove center exhaust pipe (10) (V6 engine).

72_hn01passp_7b-009a.png

13. Remove fuel pipe heat protector (11) and clip.
14. Disconnect transmission harness connectors and clip. Connector: Transfer switch (4x4), 2-4 actuator (4x4), speed sensor, 1-2 and 3-4 indicator switch.

74_hn01passp_7b-009b.png

15. Remove transmission harness clamps (12) from the transmission case and bracket.
16. Remove harness heat protector (13) (V6 engine).

83_sz01rodeo_7-313a.png

17. Remove slave cylinder (14) and flexible hose fixing bracket (HEC engine).
18. Remove dust covers (15) (V6 engine).

12_hn97passp_7b-010e.png

19. Support transmission with a transmission jack.

49_hn01passp_7b-010a.png

79_hn01passp_7b-010b.png

20. Remove engine rear mount nuts (16) from third crossmember.
21. Remove third crossmember (17) by removing six fixing bolts.
22. Remove starter (18) (V6 engine)
23. Remove flywheel under cover (19). V6 engine: 3 pieces, HEC engine: 1 piece.

13_hn97passp_7b-011a.png

24. Use clutch release bearing remover J-39207 to disconnect the clutch release bearing from the clutch pressure plate (V6 engine).
25. Pull the shift fork toward the transmission to press the clutch release bearing against the clutch (V6 engine).
26. Insert the clutch release bearing remover between the wedge collar and the release bearing (V6 engine).

88_sz01rodeo_7-314b.png

NOTE: Be sure not to insert the remover between the wedge collar and the clutch.

88_sz98rodeo_7b-013b.png

27. Turn the remover to separate the release bearing (V6 engine).
28. Remove transmission retaining nuts and bolts (20). Remove transmission (21) from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
1. Apply a thin coat of molybdenum disulfide grease to the top gear shaft spline.
2. Slowly operate the transmission jack until the front of transmission is aligned with the rear of the engine. The slope of the engine and the transmission must be the same.

85_hn01passp_7b-011c.png

3. Align the top gear shaft spline with the clutch driven plate spline.

93_sz98rodeo_7b-014a.png

4. Install the transmission to the engine. Tighten the transmission nuts and bolts as shown in the figure.

95_sz98rodeo_7b-015a.png

5. Apply a force of 59 - 78 N (13.2 - 17.6 lbs.) to the tip of the shift fork in the direction of the transmission to engage the clutch pressure plate and release bearing.

92_hn01passp_7b-013b.png

NOTE: A click sound is heard when the release bearing and the tip of the diaphragm spring engage each other. Check to see if they are securely engaged by pushing the tip of the shift fork toward the engine side while applying a force of about 25 N (5.5 lbs.). If the shift fork will not move, then they are securely engaged.

6. Install flywheel under cover (19). V6 engine 3 pieces, HEC engine 1 piece.

Torque: 8 Nm (69 inch lbs.)

7. Install starter (18).

Torque: 40 Nm (30 Ft. lbs.)

8. Install third crossmember (17).

Torque: 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.))

9. Install engine rear mount nuts (16).

Torque: 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.)

Remove the transmission jack from transmission side.

50_sz98rodeo_7b-016a.png

10. Apply grease to top hole portion of the shift fork. Install slave cylinder (14) and flexible hose fixing bracket (HEC engine).

Torque: 43 Nm (32 ft. lbs.)

11. Install clutch dust covers (15) to clutch housing (V6 engine).

Torque: 6 Nm (52 inch lbs.)

12. Connect transmission harness connectors and clip. Connector: transfer switch (4X4), 2-4 actuator (4x4), car speed sensor, 1-2 and 3-4 indicator switch.
13. Install bracket and transmission harness clamps (12) to the transmission case.
14. Install harness heat protector (13) (V6 engine).

94_hn01passp_7b-014b.png

02_sz98rodeo_7b-016c.png

15. Connect fuel pipe to transmission side.

72_hn01passp_7b-009a.png

16. Install fuel pipe heat protector (11) and clip.

70_hn01passp_7b-008d.png

17. Install center exhaust pipe (10) (V6 engine).

Torque: 43 Nm (32 Ft. lbs.)

18. Install front (9) (4X4) and rear propeller shaft (8).

Torque: 63 Nm (46 Ft. lbs.)

65_hn01passp_7b-008a.png

19. Install transfer protector (6) (4X4) and fairing plate (7). Lower the vehicle.
20. Install gear control lever (5) and transfer control lever (5) (4x4).
21. Install grommet assembly (4).
22. Install center console (3), rear console and lower cluster assembly.
23. Install transfer control lever knob (2) (4X4) and gear control lever knob (1).
24. Connect battery ground cable.
Tim's Auto Repair
Well I found one bolt I missed . very top one Hard to see & remove. I bought a kit which came with 2- bearings "1 that was smaller " it did not match size of the of the one located in the /or behind the fly well. the other parts matched or seem to have been OK . Not running yet.
I need the bolt sizes for the bell housing to engine. the diagram you sent was for a 6 cylinder.
All the other information was great , really good.
If i WASN'T SO BROKE i WOULD TIP,next time for sure !! THANKS

thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic