rlc532
rlc532, Technician
Experience:  12 years experience as professional automotive repair and service technician.
60580180

My car ignition sometimes will not start

My car ignition sometimes will not start. I put the key in and it will not turn. Then a couple of hours later it will. I washed my keys and now it turns but still feels like there is gunk down there. The Saab repair will charge me 200-300 to clean it. I have already spent 1400 this last month on this car and I am tapped out. Is there anything I can spray in there to improve things? Help, I am out of Money. thanks!! Marti My car is a 2002 Saab 93 convertable.

rlc532 :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answers! I will assist you with your question.

rlc532 :

The best way to clean the lock/ignition cylinder is to remove it. However you can use some electrical contact cleaner to spray inside and flush out some of the dirt/gum/grime and then lubricate with a silicon lubricant.

rlc532 :

I would avoid spraying anything such as a penetrating oil inside the cylinder since the oils have a tendency to gum up. The silicon is dry and will not.

rlc532 :

Please remember to click ACCEPT if my answer has helped you so that I may receive credit for my answer. Thanks have a great weekend!

Customer:

What brand and where can I get this?

rlc532 :

CRC or Loctite brand both make these products and can be found at any auto parts store.

rlc532 :

Brand is not as important as just using the right product.

Customer:

Thank you so much-I hope this works. Happy New Year!!