Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I need to know how to remove and replace the ignition lock cylinder.

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
12/7/2011
Auto Mechanic: Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 6 years ago
Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

Here is Suzuki procedures

click link below

REMOVE KEY CYLINDER

I have respect for your question.

Please have respect for my answer

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .

Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid

Can you help me with also knowing how to disable the airbags for this car? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Suzuki and this whole process has just been a pain.

Click link below

DISARM AIRBAG

Please have respect for my answer

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

That's what I thought. So, my problem now is the fact that there is a key stuck in the ignition and will not go into the lock position. It stays at the ACC position and will also turn on, but I can not remove the key(hence why I need to replace the cylinder). Any advice on what to do? Or can I disable the airbags with the key in the ignition?

my problem now is the fact that there is a key stuck in the ignition and will not go into the lock position. It stays at the ACC position and will also turn on, but I can not remove the key

sorry..........I did answer your Original Question of "how to remove and replace the ignition lock cylinder", as there was no mention of Key Stuck.......

If the Key is stuck in ACC Position & will NOT turn back, it sounds like the "Shift Interlock" is stuck & there was a RECALL for that problem.
If the Shift Interlock is stuck, then that would also prvent the Key from turning to the Lock Position & harm may already have been done to both components

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit.

Long story short...
Our car was stolen and they somehow had a key made for it. (I'm assuming from the VIN number maybe?). When we picked up the car, the key was in it and the battery was disabled. We didn't think anything about it at the time and just drove it home. When arriving home we discovered that the key will only turn back to the ACC position and will not go to the lock position so we cannot remove the key. It will move forward and turn on and we can drive it. However, when parked, we have to disable the battery so we can lock the car and so the car won't die. I'm assuming one of the tumblers is stuck on the key. We weren't having this problem prior to the car being stolen. And I'm hoping that just replacing the ignition lock cylinder will solve our problem?
Lurch
Lurch