Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Automatic..Reverse..move in 1st gear,but will move in 2nd gear

Customer Question
I have a 2006 1.8...
I have a 2006 1.8 mervia with an Easytronic transmission. The car will not move in the Automatic or the and Reverse mode. In the manual mode it will not move in 1st gear,but will move in 2nd gear. Is it possible that you can tell me what the problem is? Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
12/5/2011
Auto Mechanic: vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech replied 6 years ago
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Welcome to Just Answer, Is the "F" displayed in the instrument panel or does it change from A to M ?
The F appears and it changes to A. I went rechecked the problem- When I start the car and move the gear shift to the left the A appears. When I move the gear shift to the manual mode the M does not appear but the 1 apears.
I rechecked the problem. When I start the car and move the gear shift to the left the A appears. When I move the gear shift to the manual mode the M does not appear but the 1 appears.
Yes it would show 1 in manual mode, so does the car drive ? and does the "F" illuminate ?
The car does not drive and the F does illuminate. The car will only drive when your move the gear shift to 2.
OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX "f" has been lit then this means that the transmission control unit (ECU) has detected a fault with one of its sensors, circuits, or actuators.

The only way to find out what is failing is to have the ECU tested for fault codes on a diagnostic scanner at a garage.

Common failures on the Easytronic transmission include the shift motors and the clutch actuator, these parts can not just be replaced they need to be programmed to the transmission, only Opel/GM dealers will have the kit to perform this type of work.

I don't want to sound like I am just directing you to a garage but the only thing that you can do before this is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes as this may reset the shift motors, also make sure that the battery has a full charge.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech

Will disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes change the computer settings and cause to go to the Opel garage and have it reset?

My computer shut off and I am nöt sure if you received this so I am sending it again.

It is worth a try to get mobile,it won't reset the ECU but may reset the shift motors, but the diagnostic test will be needed to prevent further trouble.

Just to let your know. Your advice did not work on my car. I took it to the Opel dealer and had a diagnostic test done. The problem is that the shifting motor does not work. Repair cost is arround 1100 EUROs. Maybe this information will help you in the future. Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks for the update, if you re-read my answer, i said that the shift motor was a common fault, the paragraph later about the battery was just to help you get to the garage.

Thanks for using Just Answer, best regards, Vauxdoc.

Who authorized you to charge me Euro 57.00 in January. This amount will not be paid by my credit card company. I used your services on a one time basise on 5 December 2011. Please ensure that you do not make this mistake again.

Thanks.

Don

Nothing to do with me ! I am sending your post to admin.
vauxdoc
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech