Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2007 Suzuki Forenza: my tire..drivers side..grinding noise..dealership

Customer Question
Have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza...
Have a 2007 Suzuki Forenza which I was told that my front wheel bearings were going bad to to have it looked at in the next 2-months or so. Also said my tire had to be replaced on the rear drivers side. I heard a grinding noise when slowing down the other day and took it in to the dealership. They took off the back drivers tire and told me the calipers had almost was frozen. He said the pad was gone and the rotor had to be replaced. Why did he not take the other rear tire off to see if that needed anything? And also why does this happen to only one side and not the other? I checked on the internet to see if there was ever a recall for this brake caliper problem and I can see somethings about brakes but can't pin point that yr. I got my car not even a yr ago and my tires were said and looked like almost new. Is there anything else I need to find out about this estimate and why this happened...and why not the other side. I only do highway driving on the express was so not a whole lot of stop and go.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
12/3/2011
Auto Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 6 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX left caliper can freeze up, and the right will not neccessarily freeze up, when this happens, the caliper will not release all the way, and this will cause premature wear on the left side only, the caliper, rotor and the pads will need to be replaced, they should also check the right side, either way, the pads will have to be replaced on both sides, since they come as a set, you cant buy pads for just one side, they come with both sides, so they both should be replaced, but it is coomon for a calipe to stick, and only wear one side,Tim
I still need them to check the front wheel bearings as well right. They gave me a price of 500.00 for rotors pads, and calipers so does that mean they are going to replace the pads on the otherside and not the caliper? Another thing does this happen often? I ve never heard of this before and is there something I can do to prevent this from happening in the future with any car?
the dealership is going to use suzuki parts, and they are expensive the caliper is 212 dollars and the rotor is 171 dollars and the pads are 60 dollars, so it sounds like they are doing the caliper and rotor on one side and pads on both, at my shop, the caliper would be about 60 dollars and the rotor about fifty dollars and the pads about 60 dollars, so this ame job would be about 270 dollars, you dont need th rotor or caliper on the right side if the caliper did not freeze up, to prevent this in the future, have the brake fluid flushed every 59k,Tim
Is there anything wrong with getting my calipers not from the suzuki dealer? He mentioned that it would take a little longer if he got it from else where. Does that sound right? I don't have to have suzuki part right most likely the warranty is probably better but what are the chances of this happening again to the same side?
No, you dont have to have to get dealer parts, we use the aftermarket all the time, the warranty will be the same from the dealer and the parts house, Most parts houses will have these in stock, and if they dont, can get them overnight,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Thank you very much...I really didn't want to put that much money into my car as I porbably will be trading it anyway in the next 6-9 months.
Was wondering, does it take longer to put on off brand calipers verses suzuki calipers which I think comes as a set from what he was telling me. And if could tell me how much time for labor is involved in an off brnd caliper installation with brake pads and rotor?
the labor will be the same for either the dealers or the after market, the labor time is 1.4 hours for the entire job,Tim
Thank you so much for your expert advise. Have a great holiday.
Anytime my friend,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH