Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

vectra..Current mileage 90k, cam replaced at 75k.

I have a Vectra 1.8LS...
I have a Vectra 1.8LS petrol engine registered 2000. Current mileage 90k, cam replaced at 75k. Suddenly we have a cut out suddenly problem. If we now go 2-3 kms as soon as the engine "warms up" she cuts out completely, no sudden temp indicated, we then wait until engine goes cold then repeat. I have been told this is the ECU after a reputable retired mechanic, changed the temp sensor, but problem persists. What do you advise next, we live in France and the nearest garage with diagnostic is 40kms away. Thank you for any advice
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2011
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Welcome to Just Answer, Can you tell me if it stalls and starts back up or does it cut out and not re start ?
At the moment, from cold you can go up to 2kms then it will just cut out. When you try to restart she will turn over but not fire. If you wait until cold you can repeat the exercise, or she will run without moving for about 10 minutes then cut out again. We also suspected faulty fuel, as she has never caused us any trouble until we filled up with 95octane at a Supermarket 40kms away 3 weeks ago, since then we have experienced 3 occasions of feeling a "missed heartbeat" before she finally cutout and we cannot get beyond the current symptoms, hope this is OK
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thing, does the engine management light (EML) come on when the car faults ?
Initially, seemingly never, but since Keith(the mechanic) has attempted to solve the problem, the EML is now on consistently, and the throttle needs to be kept over 1000rpm to maintain engine running, or cut out ensues.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX EML is on the engine's computer has recognised and stored a fault with one of its sensors, this will need to be read with the aid of a diagnostic computer scanner, this would be the first step in any engine management diagnostics.

You said that your mechanic mentioned that the it is the ECU, I have worked on these models from new to end of production and it is very rare that ECU's fail on this series.

The most likely cause of it stalling will be a clogged Idle air control valve (IAC) , this can be removed and cleaned out with carb cleaner or petrol, new ones are available on Ebay.

The EML will usually be brought on by a faulty camshaft or crankshaft sensor, which would need replacing however I have had success by cleaning the plug connections and adding terminal gel or Vaseline to the pins, I suggest you get Keith to try this.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.

vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech

Thank you for the diagnosis, you have also highlighted 2 areas that have not been mentioned, so will try asap. The service offered is exellent so thanks again.

Merci XXXXX XXXXX bon dimanche

vauxdoc
vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech