Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Suzuki Sidekick JX: 95 Geo Tracker hard to start. When cool

Customer Question

95 Geo Tracker hard to start. When cool 40 or below outside it turns over more than normal before starting. Then when starting off cold it wants to act like a car without a choke.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

You are going to need to verify fuel pressure when the engine is hard starting.

In addition, you are going to want to check the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel injector. SOmetimes the fuel injector can start to short out under extreme tempature and cause this hard start condition.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seem if I have a fuel injector problem or fuel pressure problem the car would fail while under driving conditions. This only happens at as the engine is starting or just after start. It runs perfect after start up.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Your right. It would seem that way. But thats not the way it works. However, just be sure to check fuel pressure before replacing anything.

Another thing would be a bad TPS, MAP sensor or engine coolant temp sensor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What should the fuel pressure range be on that engine?

The coolant temperature sensor seems very promising. It is acting exactly like it is not compensating for temperature change.

I have a heated garage that I keep at 50 degrees at night. When in the garage it starts better than outside in the cold. I left it out one night to experiment and it turned over several times before starting. It was in the 20 degree range.

Are coolant sensors expensive and would it be logical to try? I am not the type to throw parts at a problem but if parts are cheap I would not mind trying.

Would a code sensor pick out the problem area................or can I put a reader on this car? I guess the only thing that would work might be an OB 1 reader?

Max

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Between 30 and 40 psi of fuel pressure is normal.

CHances are this is OBD1 and a regular code reader will not do the trick. You can however still have the codes read from the computer.

YES.. I would strongly recommend to go after the temp sensor first. YOu could just replace it as it is only a few bucks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you give me a description of where the sensor is located? By the way I was skeptical before starting this process...........but have changed my mind. You seem to really have your stuff together. Thanks in advance!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
NO problem. I understand as this is something rather new. But if I did not understand your vehicle, I would not be trying to help you. Keep in mind I am not in front of your vehicle so I may not be able to pinpoint exactly what is causing this, but I can point you in the right direction.

Is this a 8 valve engine or a 16 valve engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a 16 valve engine 4x4 Suzuki Sidekick 2dr JX. I do understand you are not in front of the vehicle. That is why I am giving you as much info as possible and as accurate as I can.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. the engine temp sensor is located either on the intake manifold or cylinder head
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is on the intake manifold. There are two sensors. One has one wire the other has two. My manual says the one I want has two wires. Going this afternoon to see if I can purchase locally.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good!

Let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I have not responded sooner. Tested the car over the weekend with success. I only changed the temp sensor for the computer so I guess it was the sensor.

The check engine light on these cars turn on automatically at 50,000 and 80,000. Do you know how to get rid of it. I reaally do not want to drive 50 plus miles to the dealer?

Good Job!!! Thanks for your assisrtance.

Max

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

I am glad to hear your vehicle is up and working much better. You can clear the code in the computer by disconnecting the battery or by using a scanner to clear the computers memory