Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Vauxhall vivaro: hi my van wont start, it just keeps chugging,

hi my van wont start...
hi my van wont start, it just keeps chugging, the rac said it is the imobiliser, i have tried both keys, and it is still chugging. when he came he sprayed some stuff into the air hose, but just kept on cutting out
11/7/2011
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist

Randy :

Hi! I will be glad to assist you.

Randy :

Give me a moment while I pull up your vehicle.

Customer:

hello

Randy :

I am here. I am checking on those symptoms for you.

Customer:

ok thany you

Customer:

i have tried both keys but it is just chuging, i know the battery is ok

Randy :

Is your check engine light on?

Customer:

the stop light is on, and the engine with a spanner through it,

Customer:

i just want to try and get it started because it is going tomorrow,

Randy :

It will be easier to diagnose if you retrieve DTCs. I can give you the factory recommended procedures to check for this symptom.

Customer:

DTC's? will it need reprogramming?

Randy :

No. The on board diagnostics(OBDII) will give you a code(DTC) and you follow the code procedure to fix the problem.You can probably eliminate the fuel related problems because I assume that starting fluid was sprayed in the hose.

Randy :

It would be very easy to diagnose, probably an electrical problem if you can get those codes.

Customer:

he said he thinks it is the imobiliser, becuase when he sprayed this fluid into the air hose it started but then cut out, he went round the back of the van and he could not smell fuel, how will i do an on board check and get the codes, all i have is the 2 keys?

Randy :

Are there any auto parts stores near.

Customer:

there is a tms near me,

Customer:

tms autoparts

Customer:

in failsworth

Randy :

In the U.S we have auto parts stores that will scan for free.

Randy :

I can give you diagram to test immobilizer.

Customer:

so i go there they will do a scan or i can take it to my mate, and they do a scan?

Customer:

please can i have that diagram?

Randy :

Yes.

Customer:

what will this diagram show me?

Randy :

Location and description of Immobilizer and related components.

Customer:

so shall i ring up some one this morning to see is they can do it? would my brakedown cover be able to do it? if i rang them to come out?

Randy :

No. You will need to get it to someone with an OBDII scan tool.

Customer:

ok i will try it later thanks

The DTC will be your best option to correctly diagnose the problem.
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Randy
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist