How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mastertech1 Your Own Question
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 2261
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
Type Your Car Question Here...
Mastertech1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

New starter, plugs dist.

Customer Question

I have a 1984 amc eagle sw 4.2L. I had the car sitting in the yard for about 5 yrs, and started to fix it up again. New starter, plugs dist. cap, rotor, etc. The only problem I'm having is the car overheats only after drivng for awhile. I also have a new thermostat and water pump in. Heater control valve checks ok-timing ok-catal. conv. ok. I also flushed the cooling system and sealed a small leak in the radiator. Don't know if the lower radiator hose is collapsing when driving- New hose but no spring in it. Only things I can figure may be the problemis the radiator,transmission cooling lines or brakes dragging/catching. What do you suggest? Thanks, Hank
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Keep in mind that after a vehicle its for a peroid of time,then the water with all it minerals in it tend to sink to the bottom of the radiator and then in-turn will plug-up many of the radiator cores,(not allowing the proper flow of coolant through the cores,and then the coolant will not dissipate the heat from the engine in a timely matter,then the engine will tend to run hotter and over-heat, You need to power flush the engine block, and replace the radiator, You can get a new radiator from 1800 radiator, for less then it would cost to have yours recored! Thanks