Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2004 Suzuki XL 7: started blowing..tail pipe..it is leaking

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Suzuki...
I have a 2004 Suzuki XL 7 today and when my wife was driving it home it started blowing oil on the rear lid and window. THe oil is not coming from the tail pipe. I crawled under and it is leaking at about a drop a second from the frame about under the car about even with the front windshield. IT is blowing back under the entire bottom. It has 129000 miles and I just bought it as is and the problem started 12 miles from the used car dealer who had closed as my wife was leaving. We have not had a chance to get the car on a lift. I was wondering if this sounds like a major or minor problem. The oil was a quart and a half down after driving about 90 miles. Not sure what the level was when she left.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Car
11/6/2011
Auto Mechanic: Neal, Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Neal
Neal, Mechanic

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

A leak in that area can come from almost anywhere as oil will go down and back when moving down the road. It could be something as simple as a valve cover gasket or a loose oil filter. I cannot tell you where it is coming from without seeing it but a simple inspection should be able to determine that if it is leaking that bad. Most of the time such leaks are not a huge problem.

Neal
Neal, Mechanic
I got under the car best I could and the oil was leaking a drop a second on average. It puddles the size of a grapefruit fairly quickly. I guess I need to get it to a shop if the used car dealer won't cooperate.
The trick is to follow the oil up to it's origination, it can be hard with it on the ground but try and find where it is wet and keep trailing it up and sometimes forward to look for the highest spot where it is wet. Hopefully the dealer will be honest. Also in most states you can back out of the sale within three business days so if it is something big don't waste time and cancel the contract Monday if that is what you need to do.
Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Neal
Neal
Neal, Mechanic