Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

trooper: brakes..tranny..front drive shaft and move the back tires

Customer Question

i have a trooper 2000 with a 4l30 e i pulled my car in the garage put all new cvc axels and brakes and ball joints when i was done i got into car and i have never left my garage the tranny goes no were i can start it with out even putting foot on brake and i can roll my car in park it makes no scince to me at all i have been told transfercase is stuck in neutral but i can spin the front drive shaft and move the back tires to me that is not stuck in neutral
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

It does sound like the transfer case is in nuetral, have you done anything with the transfer case?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i have not touched it
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
You should try changing it from 2 wheel high to 4 wheel high and see if there is a change. If the transfer case is in nuetral, park will not work and it will roll freely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is push button to go to four wheel drive and from what i can tell it is doing nothing and yes i can tell u for sure that this car rolls in park in reverse drive any gear i can start it in gear and no matter were u put it the car rolls how does a transfer case break while on jack stands that is what i can not understand can u manually put this transfer case in gear or is their a silonide to replace because this thing broke not running
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I cannot imagine how it could break when on jack stands.

Here is a picture of the actuator, have someone else move the selector while you feel the actuator to see if it is working. Be careful under the truck and just do this with the key on not running.